Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Top Tips For The 'Watch & Wait' Brigade!

<< < (2/87) > >>

Derek:
Glad you liked the list Ceeceek..... the regime very quickly becomes the acceptable 'norm' once you get into it. I found the most difficult one to maintain in the early stages was drinking  2 litres of water per day....certainly plays havoc with the bladder (well certainly so at my age) until you get used to the increased volume intake!...but well worth persevering with for the long term health benefit.

Derek

Derek:
An excellent post today in the thread 'When is it the right time to watch / wait....' by Dave (Madshackle) who after a year in 'Watch and Wait' mode has realised that it is not a state of denial but in fact is doing something positive about the AN condition.

I think that the aspect of rationalising and accepting 'Watch and Wait' as a positive step in the treatment options (when acting upon professional medical advice) can rightfully be included as a 'Top Tip'.

Derek

pearchica:
Derek: you are AWESOME! what a great list (even for us who have had procedures done).. Thanks for being such a great leader and inspiration for all of us.  Annie :P

irish211:
Hello:

This  is for all of you who are waiting and watching...I recently had my surgery for a 1.3 by 1.9  by 1.5 an  at House and could not have been happier with the outcome.

I know the anxiety is terrible but had I waited and watched, I think the tumor would have attached to my facial nerves  ( surgery showed it already was beginning but I had zero symptoms) ...as they discovered I already had no balance nerve on that side...yet I was walking normally without any vertigo or real symptoms but a full ear feeling.

I thought I was fine and was considering waiting, or gamma, as I feared surgery too....I was soooo wrong.

I travelled alone, stayed at New Otani Hotel,  on Tuesday evening,  which provides a free shuttle to House, enjoyed the hotel, Chinese restaurant, and spa there (even had a facial and oriental massage)...then went for all my appointments  on Wednesday  and had the surgery  on Thursday, intensive care Thursday evening, Friday up and trying to walk with a walker successfully, rested  Saturday through Tuesday in the hospital, and got out Wednesday morning...

stitches out on Thursday morning back at House, and Fri and Sat visited the LA area as mentioned in next paragraphs.... 

Drs. were wonderful, I awoke without vertigo, felt a little woozy and was up by the 2nd day....by the 5th, left the hospital, went back to the hotel, ordered room service and stayed there until time to go home. 

I recommend ordering chocolate ice cream via room service in the evening....watched movies , had cable, took my shower, hair was barely shaved...did just fine...so do not be frightened...

Hotel provides a free shuttle both to House and St. Vincent's Medical Center.   Fly direct thru American and request a wheel chair in advance...they board you first and take you off first that way...do not take luggage...just an overnight bag (skip check in that way) and mail it home from the hotel for $25.00...very easy....throught their business center...they also have free internet...

rooms were beautiful....no problems...I used room service for ice cream (you can tell I enjoyed that) at night and ordered a big American breakfast for 17.00...my treat to me......and I did this trip alone as my kids were in school.

I was determined to take a tour of Hollywood  and was  able to book it  at the hotel.  I even visited the Ole  Henrikson Spa  in Beverly Hills and did a half day of beauty as it is the only location for his  services... , could not resist....also got to see Rodeo drive on the tour and actually walked it. 

I  left my home town on Monday, had the House appointments on Tuesday (stayed   Tuesday night at guest house, thinking I would be almost at House the next morning) but you cannot stay alone there after surgery, so after being hospitalized 5 nights, was discharged Wednesday, and just went back to the hotel, on Thursday  visited the Henrikson Spa in Beverly Hills,  Friday took my Hollywood tour, and by Saturday flew home.

Make sure it is a direct flight and prebook your shuttles from LAX round trip...$15.00 one way...

Also,  Take prime time to the airport and prebook that too...round trip....about $100.00.

Hotel was around $95.00 per night and worth it...Seton is kind of hot and depressing....no tv, phones, or people around either.

When you are discharged you receive 5 prescriptions and need to get those  filled....be prepared for that..no pharmacy at the hospital

I had to get a cab to a pharmacy from the hotel...recommend Walgreens or CVS...hotel can help on that too....but concierge cannot deliver because one is a potent pain killer you have to sign for in person. ( I never took it either).

My point is don't be so afraid as keeping this thing is a constant stress which does not leave you.

I returned to work 10 days later, was driving by 2 weeks, and now feel ok...just don't push bending over and coming up too quickly. Don't lift either. 

You tire easily but now one month out am fine.  Keep eye drops with you at all times in case eyes feel dry....that get better with in two weeks....but was annoying.  It is because nerve to tear duct gets bruised during surgery I am told.

My point is do not fear the surgery as it was well worth getting rid of the problem. 

Best of all, I feel 20 years younger,  as things look brighter, no head pressure or what they call foggy brain...morning headaches, mild tinnitus went away, and I did not know how lousey I felt until I got rid of the  an...

Now I know know I had thoses symptoms but could not tell until after surgery which took it all away.

I was actually really dragging and did not know it.

I thought I was stressed or over tired from work, now I feel I got a real life back and that is no exageration at all

Prior to surgery I felt lethargic with low energy....so my brain was on over drive to keep me  balanced.  I now see the difference and can't believe how much better I feel.

My advice is to leave it to House and whatever they recommend just go with it as you are in wonderful hands and they will not hurt you in any way.  Right up until the end they left the decision up to me.  No pressure at all.

Just get better and on with your life and best of luck to all of you!

mhs:
Irish,
What an inspiration!  You are the bravest person, and your suggestions for travel are very helpful. 
mhs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version