Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Top Tips For The 'Watch & Wait' Brigade!

(1/87) > >>

Derek:
Hi all...

Just thought it might be useful to learn what activities or regimes we tend to engage in to hopefully assist in prolonging our precious 'watch and wait' status!

I will start the ball rolling with my 'Top Ten Tips' albeit this is my personal routine and is in no way intended to have any scientific basis with regard to treatment of the AN condition...

1. Annual MRI scan & neuro consultation  (regular monitoring is essential..look upon it as part of your routine such as a visit to the dentist or optician)

2. Sensible balanced diet with plenty fresh fruit, veg and oily fish  (good for all aspects of keeping healthy)

3. Drink at least 2 litres of water each day (essential part of maintaining good health)

4. Brisk 4 miles daily walk over varied terrain  (assists in maintaining good balance)

5. Daily cycling / motor cycling  (assists with balance and coordination)

6. No smoking  (a MUST for assisting with overall good health)

7. Alcohol in moderation  (within acceptible approved guidelines)

8. Complete rest of 10 - 20 minutes during the day with eyes closed and feet raised  (Assists in reducing stress)

9. Regular check on ears ( build up of wax can have a marked affect upon hearing impairment...syringing may be required to maintain maximum performance (particularly in the unaffected ear) and per Dr Medbery on the CKPSG 'site, it is a completely safe procedure for those with AN)

10. Engage in a passtime or hobby (keeps the mind off the 'little bugger')

There may well be an element of psychology involved but this regime has certainly worked for me over the 5+ years since diagnosis. My last MRI scan indicated a reduction in the size of my AN and whilst it was only by an insignificant 1mm it was nevertheless a tremendous morale booster and incentive to continue with the 'watch and wait' routine.

Derek

Bigbear:
Well done, Derek

I will add, hopefully without controversy, Prayer & meditation - which, one believes, directs us on the path to acceptance, tolerance, happiness, joy, faith, hope, and even Love.

After all, if we are to be shining lights, we must let our light show, and not hide them.

Frank

Maude:
I think on top of the excellent list, I would add Humor.

It helps with the ringing in my ears, when I joke about it. It helps when I am always startled at work when some one walks in my office because I now have no sense of direction. It helps when I can't make out the right words and give some goofy, off-the-wall answer. It helps others relax around me when they know it is ok to laugh. It keeps me feeling in control of the situation and putting the whole thing in perspective. It is scary, but, today, I can laugh at my foibles.

Derek:
I totally agree with the observations of 'Frank' and 'Maude'.

Determination, strength of character, will power, self belief and inspiration from your religious conviction will all undoubtedly greatly assist in dealing with the AN situation particularly so with regard to the 'watch and wait' mode.

A good and 'warped' sense of humour is also an essential attribute. I have lost count of the occasions that my AN has managed to get me out of a domestic 'hole' particularly with regard to birthdays and anniversaries where I am sure divorce would have been threatened if I were not able to blame my moment of forgetfulness etc upon my AN pal!

Derek

ceeceek:
My personal Kudo's to those of you patient enought to watch and wait.....auuughhh. I dont think I could have taken it. Although it probably would have influenced my decision some if my little growth could have at least been positively identified..but there were a lot of ifs in my particular case.....
I loved your list, and will have to follow it for the 6mos and 1yr follow up from CK..so even though I am not on watch and wait..I will still have to wait.....so I will abide by your list to keep my sanity.
Great post!!
Ceeceek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version