Post-Treatment > Headaches

Who takes Neurontin (gabapentin) for headaches?

(1/2) > >>

Captain Deb:
Just want to know who else is taking Neurontin (gabapentin) for post-op or post-radiation headaches?  It took my neurologist 3 years to get me on it and it's been a lifesaver.  He titrated me up to 2700 mg a day, which sure fixed the headaches for a while, but left me with a lot of fatigue--so much so, that I could hardly function.  I've been gradually weaning myself down to a dose that allows me to function yet keeps the headache somewhat down to a bearable level--1200-1800 a day.

Bre well,

Capt Deb 8)

dally1932:
Hi Deb, I was taking 4000mg per day for several months, but felt it had lost its edge on helping my pain. My pain never went away during the time I was on it, only seemed to lessen it at times, but nothing I could count on for any constant pain reliever. I explained to my pain mamangement doctor that I felt it wasn't working and he backed me off it over several weeks and I never noticed increase pain in doing so. This could vary by individual and work well for some like most topics on this site.

Thanks!
Chuck Dally

Janet:
I took Neurontin for a while but I never really got to a theraputic dose to decrease my headaches. I couldn't sleep and was restless at night.  I felt like my brain wasn't operating on all cylinders. I switched to Trileptol and I didn't have any problems sleeping but I still felt a little mind numb. The highest does was only 300mg/day. I was taking Indomethacin too. When I went on the Botox study, I gradually stopped the Trileptol because it didn't seem to be doing any good. The vague feeling went away.
Janet

ppearl214:
I've been on Neurontin for just over a year now.  Went as high as 600 mg (told dr I refused to go beyond that dose) and now down to 500 mg/daily (200mg in am, 300 mg at night as it does make me drowsy).  I've also gained weight from the dang stuff!  My dr's prescribed it to me for neuropath pain unrelated to the AN.  For headaches, I'm on Imitrex as needed.....

Phyl

Mari:
I took neurontin for several years. my doc has now changed me to lyrica and I am seeing better results.  I have been having seizures 7years post op so the lyrica controls them too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version