General Category > AN Issues

The Brighter Side of Life!

(1/6) > >>

Jill Marie:
While walking with my husband and our 2 dogs yesterday I spotted a patch of blue flowers that I had never seen before on a path we have walked on over the last few years.  I pointed them out to my husband and he said he had never noticed them before either.  As we walked we saw more and more of them lining the path.  I realized at that moment how happy I was, because of the simple beauty of the flowers along with the sunshine, fresh air and the company of my husband and our dogs.  That got me to thinking, what else do I enjoy seeing or doing?  I started out the Memorial Weekend venting on this forum and now I would like to share some of my happier thoughts and welcome others to do the same.  Perhaps you would like to explain in detail something you love to do, or make a list of things you like to do.  It doesn't matter if it's something you did before your surgery and can no longer do or perhaps it's something you have come to enjoy after your surgery then again maybe it's something you have always liked to do but just do it in a different way now!

We walk our dogs at least 4 times a week, every day if the dogs had their way.  We walk them in a ravine where we can keep an eye on them, they love to chase the rabbits and rock chucks. The path we were on yesterday is called the Centennial Trail and it is about 40 miles long, it winds through our city and along a river.   We all sleep better when we have gone on a nice long walk. 

I love gardending, vegetable gardens that is.  We didn't plant one this year as we are redoing the landscaping in our backyard.  Hopefully by the end of summer we will have a new deck, small swimming pool and a fish pond.  My husband loves to work with his hands and create new things.  Most of the materials we need for the projects come from bartering with others so who knows what will happen.

We bought a small camp trailer last Fall and are looking forward to taking it to our annual family reunion in July, we have attended the reunion every year for the last 23 years, except the year I had my surgery.  Can't wait to roast a marshmellow and catch up with family friends.

In the Winter I go to the club to ride the bike and lift weights, it helps me keep in shape and helps me deal with stress.  During the Summer I ride my bike on the Centennial Trail.

My Dad was in the Army during WWII and over the last 10 years I have tracked down some of his fellow Army buddies.  We have attended 5 WWII  Reunions.  The most memorable was the one in D.C. where we visited the WWII Memorial. 

We're looking forward to traveling in Europe when we retire! 8)

mema:
Jill Marie,                                                                                                                                                                                 

My husband and I have always had a hand in babysitting our grandkids, on a daily basis one or two at a time.  We have five.  We are looking to buy a travel trailer.  My  husband and I would like to see the Grand Canyon and other National Parks.  My dream also has been to see Hollywood, because I am a movie buff.  We also would like to take our grandkids camping.                                                       

I am a novice scrapbooker.  I started past February doing a scrapbook for my sons 40th birthday.  I love doing it so much. I feel like a little girl playing cutouts.  And I've gotten pretty good restoring old pictures on the computer, with the help of my sister.                   

So I did one for her 50th birthday.  I now have a son turing 40 in January, and a daughter to do.  Hoping I can do one for all my grandkids.  I always wanted a hobby and could never come up with anything that interested me.  Whala! I love to scrapbook.

mema

matti:
When my boys were little (20 or so years ago) we would go to the park everyday and all the way there, they were filled with so much excitement they could hardly contain themselves, such sweet memories.  Fast forward 20 years and I am still going to the park everyday, but now it's a dog park with a labrador that is filled with so much excitement he can hardly contain himself. He howls and moans all the way there LOL  So much fun to watch him run and play with doggie friends. It's the simple things in life that are truely the best!

Cheryl

Jill Marie:
Mema,

I'm jealous, we don't have any grandchildren yet, looking forward to all the fun we will have when we do.  The Grand Canyon is high on our list as well.

I'm glad you found a hobby that brings joy to you and your family.  Our youngest is in the Army and while he was deployed to Iraq his girlfriend made a scrapbook for him for his birthday, it had pictures of all his friends and family in it so he could feel closer to home when he looked at it.  He bacame very ill while in Iraq and was flown to Landstuhl, Germany to recover.  At one point we thought we would never see him again. The Army flew us to Germany and while there we posted on a sight called the Caring Bridge.  Family and friends posted their well wishes there too!  Our sons girlfriend gave me a scrapbook for my birthday with all the posts from the Caring Bridge in it.  I look at the scrapbook every now and then and am so glad she made it for me as I'm sure your family appreciates those you made for them.  Jill

Boppie:
I love seeing smiles on my 6yo Grandson's faces.  They are fraternal twins.  They stick together like glue.  Yesterday I visited the taller boy at home.  He'd had his tonsils out.  He was on the couch and he had a nice smile for me when I came in.  This morning the smaller boy answered the phone and gave me a moment by moment report on his brother's progress and then he described his new bike reflectors that spin when you ride!  It doesn't take much to make them happy.  My problems seem so small when I am with those boys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version