Author Topic: Challenges  (Read 7088 times)

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
Challenges
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:32:09 am »
Wow!  Two and a half years after surgery I don't really think about doing things anymore.  I just do them.  Last night I went bowling for the first time for my son-in-laws birthday. Too many things going on at once, walking, throwing, aiming and people moving in the other lane.  Needless to say, I didn't do too well. I finally just walked up to the line, stopped and threw.  It was the only way I could get any pins down.  The good news is I didn't fall and I think in time I'll improve.  It is great to have improved so much that I don't think about balance all the time and it was a good reminder that I do have a vestibular problem that can raise its ugly head at the most unexpected times. After reading about bicycling, I am going to a big parking lot and try it out (with my helmet of course-my dauighter thinks I shoud wear it more often). Blessings, Cath
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Challenges
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:39:39 am »
Can I ask?  What have you heard about bicycling?  My doc claims that eventually I'll be able to do it, as well as return to running.  But, I'm only 6 weeks post op so I haven't been brave enough to try either yet.  At this point, I've been focusing on walking.  Do you know of other AN patients who have tried bicycling or running? 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:10:45 pm »
Sorry, just read the next set of postings (Re - bike riding); missed that the first time around.

But, still curious about running?  Anyone know?
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:46:05 pm »
I road a bike after four months, not bad at all.  I turned around in the street and road back to the start, too.  Bike riding is not my normal exercise now but I road a bike well and often in my youth.  I learned early not to look down at the pavement and the curb rushing by.  Riding in traffic might be another story if I needed to watch over my shoulder a lot.

I run poorly now post op.  I can fast walk.  Running ends up being plodding and my eyes bounce up and down...gives me a head pain.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:48:15 pm by Boppie »

OTO

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:00:26 pm »
Leapyrtwins
Running is hard, cause it makes my eyes bounce, which really makes me dizzy.    While I was recuperating, I use to go to the high school track and walk laps (tried to get in 2 miles a couple of times a week...  I took it easy  about 20 minutes per mile).   About 1/2 way through I would walk the bleacher stairs but I had to hold on to the railings.... any up and down movement really made me dizzy.  Now I'm back at work, and still get dizzy when my head bounces going up and down the building stairs... 

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:50:07 pm »
Leapyrtwins,

I just came back from a hard one mile run.  My son was being my trainer and kept encouraging me to run.  He was really pushing me to work hard.  I walk 3 miles on a fairly regular basis.  I have no balance problems at all when I run.  Vision is a bit impaired from all of the ointment in my eye that doesn't blink.  I have to wear sunglasses to help with the wind.  Every once in a while my glasses fog up and that is annoying. 
This week I was also out riding my bike for about 6 miles.  The blacktop is fairly easy, the hills aren't too bad, but the steep gravel hill got to me.  I got almost all of the way up, but I had to walk the last few yards.  This was my first time on gravel.  I was a little shaky at first, but when I realized that I could do it, I was okay.
Everyone is different in their recoveries.  I am grateful that I am able to be so active.  My surgery was in September of 2005.  I was back to moderate exercise by January of 2006.  Right after surgery I began with short walks.  By the summer of 2006 I could run again.  My motivation is the only thing holding me back.
Good luck with your recovery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:02:33 pm »
Jean,

thanks for the response.  I'm thinking I'll try to run on my treadmill, where I can grasp the handrails if necessary, and if all goes well I'll hit the open road.  If I run into balance or dizziness problems, I can always return to the treadmill until I've mastered it and then try the road again.  One of the things I'm learning during my recovery is that everything takes time.  Things that originally were difficult to do have gotten easier.  The first couple of weeks post op walking was a challenge, but I've steadily gotten better at it.  I'm hopeful that running will follow suit.

As far as bike riding, someone suggested trying it in an open area (like an empty parking lot) and that sounds like an excellent idea.  Since I have SSD on the left side, riding in the street like I used to may not be such a good idea.  After the parking lot, maybe I'll look for some local bike trails or other places a little safer than the street.

There is life after AN surgery  :D

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:23:38 pm »
Can I ask?  What have you heard about bicycling?  My doc claims that eventually I'll be able to do it, as well as return to running.  But, I'm only 6 weeks post op so I haven't been brave enough to try either yet.  At this point, I've been focusing on walking.  Do you know of other AN patients who have tried bicycling or running? 

A guy I was at HEI for surgery with ran a marathon at 1 yr post-op. He was a runner to begin with and just pushed himself to the limit as soon as he was able.  It can be done!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:32:05 pm »
You know running is not something I do pretty since surgery...can't remember if I could before surgery  ;D
My mom has a wide bike path which is a safe spot to ride a bike on. I have ridden but wouldn't trust myself close to the road. Felt weird the first time I rode, just like swimming was weird the first few times I swam. Kept getting motion sick. Unf. my swimming is more like a dog paddle but I can still enjoy the pool on a hot  day  ;)
My hats off to the guy who ran the marathon!  I think it all boils down to our determination to do what we did or what we want and figuring out a way to accomplish that goal!

matti

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 08:47:46 pm »
Since surgery, I run like Phoebe on "Friends"  ;) 

I power walk and lap swim, but first few times were rough, especially the swimming. The movement of the water sent me into sensory overload and still does on occasion, so I never swim alone. I have yet to attempt a bike, if they could put training wheels on (seriously) I would feel more secure.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50