Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

Difficulties with getting back in shape.

(1/3) > >>

Yvette:
Hello everyone, docs said I could resume activity, workout, lift weights-so after 3 weeks of slowly getting back into an exercise routine, mostly walking, I pushed it for the first time today. On the 30th rep in a bicep curl with a ten lb. dumbell in each hand, something in my head felt like it tore. Suddenly the tightness, swollen feeling, giant corn cob in the ear feeling and general pain, put a stop to the rest of today. I'm so discouraged. How did you guys get back into shape? My translab was on 1/22/07, shouldn't everything have healed in there [my head] by now?  How long before you guys could get in a good work out?  Yvette

tony:
I think your theory is right - its the time frame thats out
My "full" recovery is now in its 24th( ?) mth
and now some days I out stamina "non-ops"
 a month back I beat a mate on the back nine
(he was tired he said )
- his other hobby ? - Karate...
My suggestion is you take it slow and steady
at first - your brain might well remember all
that you could do before....
Your body will have a way of reminding
you that you pushed it too hard and too soon....
Best Regards
Tony

HeadCase2:
Yvette,
  Your capacity for exercise should continue to improve for some time, albeit slowly. Even a year from now, you'll may be continuing to improve. It's a little different for everyone.  I'm back to playing pick-up basketball.  But for the first year, bringing up the heart rate with heavy exercise brought on a low grade headache.
Regards,
 Rob   

Yvette:
Thanks guys. What is pick-up basketball Rob? Oh-update. I have a "Fluid pouch" that doc says should reabsorb. I'm down again for 2 weeks/no activity besides walking. Don't believe them when they tell you you can resume normal activities. I even kept it very easy for 3 weeks before the incident, but began to feel like a wuss, so I pushed it for the first time. Everybody was encouraging me to do so; I should of listened to my body and not others (professional or not). Tony, so even 2 years isn't a sure-fire "back to normal" benchmark? Wow. Yvette

tony:
sadley no,  and no two are alike and many crack it in weeks or months
Go with the flow and take your time
There are no prizes for first - but consequences if you do really overdo it
Good Luck
Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version