Author Topic: vestibular compensation and eye connections......  (Read 4883 times)

Windsong

vestibular compensation and eye connections......
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:22:56 pm »
I was actually looking up something about a test and found this, thinking if anyone wants to read it, it points out some connections between balance issues due to vestibular loss (unilateral too) and things about vision (eye) and motor movement. I thought since some here notice things like balance being off in the dark and other times too the abstract might be of interest to some. Reduced VOR is interesting upon head rotation, too....

http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/00045.2006v1.pdf

it's a recent abstract

(the test i was looking up was the hamalgyi one)

W.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:26:51 pm by Windsong »

Windsong

Re: vestibular compensation and eye connections......
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:20:45 pm »
I was reading this and just before the summary is a blurb about how the neck comes into play too with the balance ... a number here have some neck issues so i thought you might want to read it ... it's an easy read with diagrams too.....

http://www.unmc.edu/Physiology/Mann/mann9.html

vcschaub

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:34:48 am »
Thank you for the link. It is informative and very interesting!
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:57:03 pm »
You're welcome... :)

It came in handy for me today too as a friend was asking about her sister's vestibular situation (not an An but inner ear disease etc.)...so i pointed her there too.....

kat

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:24:36 am »
Hi everyone

I have just spent a day in bed due to whizzing head and nausea ! This may not sound too unusual to anyone with AN  but to me it is the first time that it has seriously stopped me from doing anything . I am now 27 months post GK and up to now have not suffered
any significant balance problems . I must add that I have just returned from quite an exhausting holiday to the Cote D`Azur which involved hot climbs to villages perched on hilltops and views from dizzying heights as well as being driven on hair raising cornice roads
all ending with a bumpy flight and drive back home in thick fog and torrential rain ! I felt absolutely fine through all that and also the next day but last night woke up with a splitting headache and whizzing head which I hoped would go away after I took some Nurofen plus and drunk a lot of water but as I got out of bed in the morning everything was still whizzing around and I felt severe nausea as well which was enough to keep me in bed for the rest of the day ! I have just read most of the above information ,thanks .
and the only thing that I am wondering about is whether this is caused by my AN or just a  temporary hic up affecting my balance .
I am not feeling too bad at the moment but any sudden head movements still seem to send my head into a spin but nothing as bad as earlier . If this becomes a more permanent feature I would like to know if there are medications that can be taken to lessen the symptoms .

Regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .