Author Topic: Blurry vision caused by astigmatism from eyelid weight or surgery?  (Read 15292 times)

jjohnson

Hello all, I'm relative new here but had the surgery ~ 8 weeks ago.  Unfortunately there was bruising of several other cranial nerves and they had to cut the facial nerve since the tumor enveloped the nerve so I have all the problems that accompany a cut facial nerve (eyelid weight, slight drooping, enunciation problems, etc.). 

I go thru the routine of eye ointment at night and drops during the day so for those of you with experience with eye issues, has anyone had blurry vision (when your eye is not fully of ointment)? If so, do you know the cause?  Did it go away? How long did it take?  Was it an astigmatism from the eyelid weight slightly changing the shape of your cornea, bruised brainstem, other?  My Opthomologist believes my blurry vision is caused by an astigmatism from the gold weight but that's the first I've heard of it. It may still be too early to make any decisions on it yet since there may still be some residual healing left to be done since I'm only 8 weeks out but I was curious what your experiences were.  Thanks.

JJ
Translab
4cm extremely vascular left sided AN
Age 29 yrs
facial paralysis left side, ssd, gold weight in eyelid, (that's the major stuff)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Blurry vision caused by astigmatism from eyelid weight or surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:48:27 am »
Hi JJ:

Sorry you ended up with the cut facial nerve (me too).
I only seem to have the blurry vision due to the ointment;
It makes sense what your opthamologist said, if in fact the gold
weight can alter the shape of the cornea - I haven't heard that before either.

If my eye doesn't have ointment in it, I can see fine (just can't take the burning
from the dryness, so I pretty much always have ointment in there.)

Best wishes for your continued healing,   Nancy
ps.  my eye has stayed swollen since the weight was put in, I'll be having surgery to remove the gold & put in platinum.
      this was a very unusual occurrance.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

trudy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:34:59 am »
Hello JJ,
Your post is interesting to me as I have slight double vision in the eye on the AN side.  I had surgery a year ago December - prior to that over more than a year it seemed when I went to my eye appt they couldn't quite get the prescription for that eye right. I did not know that I had a brain tumor at the time.  Since the surgery, I still have the same thing - it's not real bad - just a shadow on things that makes it blurry. I think that my good eye compensates for it. If I cover my good eye and try to read something for instance on the tv set - I will notice it - uncover the good eye and it seems ok.  I did not have facial nerve cut - had a fairly large tumor at almost 3cm and it was pushing the brainstem so I realize there is a lot of healing going on still.  I did have the CF leak after surgery and my eye would not close and mouth drooped.  My eye closes and the mouth is fine now although I still just put a moisturizing drop in the eye at night only because I think that I should. I have gone back to wearing contact lenses and have enough moisture for that.  If I tear up from a sad movie, however, I have tears in the good eye only - so weird!  My eye Dr said that he could try to correct that vision with something in glasses - but it's not bothering me enough to go that route.  I did have eye therapy for a few months after surgery also.  I just thought it was interesting as I haven't seen many posts about the blurry vision other than those that are using the goop which I know first hand will make it blurry.  It will be interesting to follow your situation as none of my Drs have really said anything about whether or not the blurry vision will be corrected after all the healing is done.  Trudy

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 11:31:04 pm »
My vision in the AN eye went blury after damaging the cornea from the dryness the first few months after my surgery.  IAlthough I used very very frequent drops and the ointment, my cornea stu=ill got scratched badly, and the healing created scar that now causes my blurry vision.  I have reading glasses now I never needed before surgery.  One more thing to add to the list I guess. Maybe it could be something like mine or perhaps the weight like your doc said. But if you were having trouble with it beofer the surgery,???
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

jts

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:30:37 pm »
I'm 11 months out from my surgery date (June 8th).  I had total loss of facial muscle control to start with and now have pretty good control.  My AN side eye is the most notable current issue. 

I have good vision for the first couple of hours in the day - then I develop a pretty significant ghost image.  I used to wear monovision contacts - so I am aware of what it is like to have one eye take over for the other.  But that is exactly how my eyes are behaving now.  If I were to cover my good eye, my afternoon vision is pretty lousy.  I could avoid other vehicles just fine, but don't ask me to read roadsigns very far away!  Recently my ophthalmologist (at a regularly scheduled 6 month exam) did change the prescription of the AN lens but that only cured me for a short period of time - perhaps a few weeks or so.  I don't think it is worth making a frequent lens change, so guess I will just ride it out a little longer and bring this issue up with my NA surgeon at my 12 month checkup.

I also have other eye issues, so who know what the cause is for the ghost images.  Other issues for me include low-pressure glaucoma, and cataracts in both eyes that are not yet "ripe" so surgery is a ways off yet.

John
58 year old male
Surgery June 8, 2006  Middle Crania Fossa
Dr. Bruce Gantz at Univ IA Hosp
13 months post op tinnitus AN side, mild unstable balance, slight lack of facial muscle control AN side, slight lisp, 10% hearing loss, eye and nose run when eating. Doing really well!

ceeceek

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 07:15:21 am »
Hmmmmm, I seem to have opposite problem...my eye does not want to open...the nerve that runs along the carotid artery apparently controls the nerve that dialates and constricts your pupil....so super light sensative,,,,,and eyelid very weak to boot in general....my nerves were not cut,,,just really pushed and pulled on.....
Anyone else have this problem..it is sort of related to trigeminal and vidan nerve pain..funfun.....if I could get my eye straightend out..I would feel a lot better..the other pain..not so bad...lots of numbness..which of course is not painful..annoying but doesnt hurt really...my eye on the other hand really hurts.....
I love the Dr.s....this is probably temporary condition and should heal up.....most people when they think temporary...one imagines...several weeks....he meant several years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is not temporary to me....so now I am in some what of a fix.....I have made other post in regards to some alternative treatment I am trying but too early for results...if It works well, I will let you guys know...since your nerves are cut I am unsure if it will work for you, but it may be possible for other nerves to learn to compensate...
Thanks for the info

Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:59:03 pm »
Hi all, I also had dry eye very painful and it caused vision problems I had a gold bar put in my eyelid after surgery. then a month or two later I had to go back in and have them take it out and put a heavier one in, I now still have vision problems, they also put some kind of tube in the eye duct so it makes moisture now I dont have dry eye.   ::) ask your docter about that surgery its worth it. ;D
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

blre

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 12:51:09 pm »
Hi Linny,
Saw your posting on some kind of tube put in your eye duct to make moisture. I have dry eye  from my operation,  so am pleased to see this. Where is the tube attached to in order to get the moisture?
 I heard that it's possible to hook up to the salvia in your cheek.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:44:01 am »
I am 7 1/2 weeks post op and still having a few eye issues...

eye still wants to remain partly open when I go to sleep...ointment and patching so
don't wake up with eyeball stuck to pillow ( did that once and that once was enough) 

also sometimes the lid just seems stiff for lack of a better discription... I can gently massage
it and the stiff feeling goes away...

as for vision it is blurry in some situations ... reading books I can do better taking of glasses and
holding book closer to face... or covering the right eye...(easier to just take off glasses...
on the computer I can at least hold down the Ctrl and roll the mouse to make type bigger...
now to find a way to do that to books ... not enough big print books out there without
ordering...have a magnifying screen for needle craft but if I don't have it held just right it
distorts the type and creates a dizzy feeling

was advised to wait to change lens strength to allow for more healing... can't drive at night
because of deteriorated night vision... I have been just rolling along trying to be patient and
follow doctors advise but it is hard for me ... I am fiercely independent and have been reduced
to having to ask for help for simple things and I just don't like it...

As to tubes in eyes... I have a two year old grandson that was born without a tear duct in
one eye...they did some kind of bypass I guess you would call it ...that has a tiny tube running
from the good eye and it comes out in the corner of bad eye... he still has drops and ointments
they have to use if he is going to be outside long or when he has a cold  but the tube is a
great improvement...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 04:15:16 pm »
blre:  I think Linny was talking about tear duct plugs, or Punctual plugs - I don't have them but I think they're placed right into the tear duct, not noticable, & produces tears.    There's also eye drops called Restasis that are suppose to help the eye make its own tears - I've heard you have to use the drops for about 1 1/2 years.

Soundy:   Hang in there - you're just shy of 2 months post op,  it will get better.  continue to see your optomologist regularly.  I know what you mean about being 'fiercely independent', I'm the same way.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kellz123

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 12:35:55 pm »
Has anyone here had lasik eye surgery? I have been researching lasik information for a few months and was not sure if I should go on with the surgery. Any suggestions?

NF-2er

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 01:21:50 pm »
Hi;

Seems you'll do well here as long as a very well experienced Opthamologist performs this. There is always room for human error, however, and one might remember the cornea is only about 1 mm. thick at it's thickest portion ( It is thinner in the periphery ). Through the cornea means instant glaucoma. This is not a common occurence or lasix would not be FDA approved.

I believe the procedure has improved since it's inception as previously the Dr. made tiny stiches around the cornea after flattening it. This caused distorted vision in some.

Today, the incision is sealed with the laser.

The surgery is designed to flatten the cornea, thus changing the eye's refractive focal length. Many still have to wear reading glasses however, as presbyopia ( near sightedness caused by an inflexible natural crystalline lens after 40 or so ) begins to occur.

I believe minor astigmatism and spherical refraction corrections can be corrected with the laser as the Vs Rx changes.

Best wishes here!

Russ

Has anyone here had lasik eye surgery? I have been researching lasik information for a few months and was not sure if I should go on with the surgery. Any suggestions?

ag0923

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 09:02:12 am »
Hello all, I'm relative new here but had the surgery ~ 8 weeks ago.  Unfortunately there was bruising of several other cranial nerves and they had to cut the facial nerve since the tumor enveloped the nerve so I have all the problems that accompany a cut facial nerve (eyelid weight, slight drooping, enunciation problems, etc.). 

I go thru the routine of eye ointment at night and drops during the day so for those of you with experience with eye issues, has anyone had blurry vision (when your eye is not fully of ointment)? If so, do you know the cause?  Did it go away? How long did it take?  Was it an astigmatism from the eyelid weight slightly changing the shape of your cornea, bruised brainstem, other?  My Opthomologist believes my blurry vision is caused by an astigmatism from the gold weight but that's the first I've heard of it. It may still be too early to make any decisions on it yet since there may still be some residual healing left to be done since I'm only 8 weeks out but I was curious what your experiences were.  Thanks.

JJI had gold weight put in one week after surgery and definitely feel that there have been some vision problems since, although they are intermittent they are annoying. Also dry eye is not totally solved by gold weight. Some days are fine and others there is lots of burning.
Now about six months out from surgery.I think there is a lot of healing to happen from eye lid surgery and a long time where secretions from the surgery site will cause blurriness.
Allan, 2.7cm removed 3/07

A