General Category > Hearing Issues

I hope not AN

(1/3) > >>

G35power:
Welp, I am a 22 year old male in general good health. Im just wondering if this type of tinnitus is in sync with AN (2 doctors and one ENT didnt think so). Anyways, I hear a ocean-like roar in my right ear (almost like putting my ear in a shell).  When I clear my ears it takes extra long for my right ear to reach equilibrium. When I turn my head upside-down, I hear loud pulsating and loud swooshing. I had a hearing test and everything seems to be OK in that department. Could this be a acoustic neuroma? My doctor laughed at me when I asked him.  ??? ??? ???

ppearl214:
Hi G35.

Agree with Bruce... an MRI with constrast is how you will confirm if you have an AN... and yes, tinnitus is a by-product of AN's, but as previously noted, other things can also bring on tinnitus.

I would also suggest an MRI with constrast to rule out if you do or do not have an AN.

Good luck
Phyl

Joef:
Yep there is a long list of things which could cause "T" .. AN's are only 1 of them ...and I would guess one of smallest percentage of causes .. the other posters are correct , and MRI/contrast  is the best way to tell .. and if you dont have any other issues (hearing,balance, etc) I bet they wont want or need to get a MRI just yet....

macintosh:
I agree with all of the previous posters--you should get an MRI with contrast to rule out an AN, even though the chances are somewhere in single digits (i.e., less than 10%) that these symptoms wil turn out to be the result of one. Are you in an HMO or an 80/20? MRIs cost several thousand dollars, and, given the odds, HMO-affiliated doctors with little AN experience might be reluctant to spend the money on a contrast MRI.

Sheryl:
Along with all the other good advice, I would get a new doctor who didn't "laugh at me". 
Sheryl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version