Author Topic: Know of any Doctors in Tampa Florida or nearby area?  (Read 3047 times)

Marilyn55

Know of any Doctors in Tampa Florida or nearby area?
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:05:29 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I've recently dx with a 7mm AN and looking to find a neurosurgeon in Tampa or areas nearby. Please inform me of any that you've had or know that's performed surgery on many AN's.

I will have a consult with a Dr Boyev from Univ. of South Florida recommended to me by my ENT, but he will be the first and I will want a second opinion.

You can also PM me with information, I tend not to go online frequently.

Thank you
Marilyn

Marilyn, I removed your email address, we try to keep them out of the posts to avoid spammers. The personal message system (PM) works almost the same way, and keeps the email addresses hidden. Steve
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:20:07 pm by sgerrard »

sgerrard

Re: Know of any Doctors in Tampa Florida or nearby area?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:26:05 pm »
I would check out the Tampa Bay Hearing and Balance Center:

http://www.tampabayhearing.com/

I have heard good things about Dr. Bartels from several patients on this forum.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:18:18 am »
Also you can check out the doctors I went to see at Shands University of Florida in Gainesville.

Since your tumor is small you may want to consider radiation treatment and that case there is a Dr. Friedman there.

I had microsurgery with Dr. Antonelli and I love him.  He too is at Shands.

You are at the beginning stages of searching out all your options and even though Shands is a few hours away, the more you talk with doctors knowledgeable and experienced the better you will be able to choose. 

I know most of us here sought multiple doctors educated and highly experienced with vestibular schwannomas and after interviews the information can be overwhelming whereby a patient will then rely on their "gut". 

Sorry you are one of us, but you certainly found the right place.  I do not know of any ANA Meetings in your area, but a phone call or email to ANA will give you that information. 

Welcome and hope to hear from you soon. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Marilyn55

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:57:47 pm »
Arushi.
I will check out Shands Hospital, I've heard about it.  How are you doing postop, its been a few months now. I tell you its really a scary thing for me.  I wonder am I going t have the problems that I've read about from having surgery, the facial paralysis, still having ringing in ears etc.

Tell me about your surgery and recuperation.

Marilyn55

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »
Marilyn -

Dr. Bartels has a great reputation.

Here's a thread that you might find helpful http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7364.0

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways