General Category > AN Issues

Connect with ANA Peer Mentors - available to newbies

(1/28) > >>

ppearl214:
Hi all,

As we see many newly diagnosed folks logging onto the site that are feeling a sense of anxiety, confusion, etc., I just wanted to let everyone know that if you contact the ANA, they will send you information about connecting with peer mentor volunteers via phone, email or video chat. This is a great way to connect  if you have questions about your diagnosis and treatment options.

I know when I first was diagnosed, I did my websearch and found the ANA homepage.  I contacted the office and they sent me a free patient kit, which included the ANA peer mentor list.  I took advantage of it and contacted a local woman who graciously gave me her good ear and shoulder as I began my investigation into "what the heck am I going to do?".  I am so fortunate that she took the time and energy with me and shared a lot with me.  There is also my "martini-cohort-in-crime" who was my second phone call and gawd bless her for the time/energy she gave me as well.  Jane, you have such a special place in my heart and I thank you SO very much! ;)

Contact the ANA for more information:

ANA
600 Peachtree Pkwy.
Suite 108
Cumming, GA 30041
770-205-8211
mentors@anausa.org

Sometimes it's easier to speak on the phone vs. trying to type what you want to say.   I just wanted to share this with you all.

BTW, I am a peer mentor and if anyone needs my good ears, I'm always here for you (whether on phone, email, etc).

Hang in there all!
Phyl

Thank you Phyl for this helpful information! Just a reminder that The Peer Mentor Program consists of acoustic neuroma patients who are willing to talk about their acoustic neuroma experience, providing information, encouragement and support to other acoustic neuroma patients. 

There are volunteer participants from all over the country, covering all treatment types, various tumor sizes and representative demographics and talking points.

To get started, please contact the ANA for a free patient kit whether you are an acoustic neuroma patient, family member or friend. Pre-treatment, post-treatment and watch and wait AN patients can all benefit from the support of ANA's helpful volunteers.  You can submit your request via the ANA website www.ANAUSA.org

Best regards,

Melanie Hutchins
Manager, Volunteer Programs and Publications

er:
Thank you ppearl214
 I will check on it, I am not much in writing
eve

ppearl214:
eve,

I hope you gain from it all that I did.  The chance to speak to someone, other than in writing, was immeasureable to me.

Also, please see in "AN Community" the upcoming NE brunch in Worcester. Meeting others face to face, as well, truly does help.. and we have a good time.  That type of inter-personal connection,  to me, was also extremely helpful.  I hope you can make it. :)

Phyl

IdaR:
I am new to this and appreciate your advice.  Will call this morning.  My tumor if small and I feel the most sensible think to do is just get rid of it, but of course there are concerns.  I also have asthma....how will I react under general anethesia?  Recovery time?  Options?  So many unknowns.  How do I figure out the right answer?

Thanks,
Ida

ppearl214:
Hi Ida and welcome.  Since I am not a  physician, I cannot answer your questions but my hope that some of the medical team you put together for your case will work together to provide you with the most careful and concise treatment plan for you. 

I hope the WTT list also works for you.  I have a feeling it will. Being able to speak to another can truly be a gawd-send in times of new diagnosis or the decision making process.

We all are available to you here on the site as well... and look forward to your contributions regarding you and your AN journey.

Again, welcome.
Phyl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version