General Category > NF2

AN & Spinal tumors

(1/3) > >>

Mary 117:
I just read the thread on NF2 and saw a few comments relating to spinal tumors. I may be really paranoid but can anyone tell me what the spinal tumors look/feel like? I had AN surgery 5/24/05 and have recovered really well. Last summer I noticed a lump on my lower spine. I asked my internist at my regular "let's check your blood pressure" exam,  and she said don't worry it's just a little lump. Well, I was told for a year that the pain in my head was just stress and I should get a massage, so I might just be a little nervous. It seems to be growing slowly and I can feel it when I press on my spine. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for everyone who takes time to post on this site. I don't respond often but it sure makes me feel so not alone. It's like comfort food for my thoughts.

Mary
2cm Middle fossa Dr Brackmann 5/24/05

tony:
I understand your worries
firstly there is no clear reason to suspect you are NF2 - only "might be" at this stage
It could just be a cyst or similar
NF2 lumps start small and grow out of nerve tissue
- there is a skin lump version but it is VERY rare
(a skin type lump is unlikely to cause a headache)
A clue might be in your body complextion
- if you have many coffee type spots - 50 plus
about the size of a finger nail - then maybe
There are two ways at this stage to check
An experianced NF2 type doc or nurse can do a full body examination
checking the feelings/strengths/responses for all the main limbs etc
a weakness or lack of sensation may warrant further investigation
The other way is to get a full spinal MRI -
the normal MRI stops at the neck
you have to ask for full spine the next time they are doing it
If symptoms persist and the doc seems not to understand
it maybe worthwhile finding a doc that has direct NF2 experiance
its so rare - many are just quoting from med school
My suggestion is to keep an eye on things
maybe move to an annual check up with someone
who knows what to look for
Best Regards
Tony

Dealy:
I am an NF2 so I will chime in with your concern-also Tony gave some good advice. These tumors do not usually cause lumps as Tony says. If you are worried too the point of wanting some medical answers-if your insurance will pay-you may want too ask for a nerve conduction test. This is very simple and not that expensive. Like Tony said-most likely a cyst. My wife has one on her back that is the size of an egg. Does not hurt-and too our knowledge she does not have an Acoustic Neuroma. However-it may be prudent too keep watch. Better safe then sorry. Best Wishes_ron

Mary 117:
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't all that worried before and your posts make it pretty clear that it isn't related to the AN tumor. I go for my 2 year post-op checkup in a couple of months so will ask the Dr at that time.
Thanks for the help.

Mary
2cm Middle fossa Dr Brackmann 5/24/05

hgtvqueen:
We found our daughter's spinal cord tumors before her AN's were discovered.  In fact, had it not been the SC tumors giving her backaches, we might never have found the AN.  Her hearing is still good in both ears.  Had the smaller AN removed at House a couple of months ago.  Have an MRI  for peace of mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version