Author Topic: AN WEBCAST  (Read 9145 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
AN WEBCAST
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:23:38 pm »
I have not tried to view this yet.

I believe it is general educational on ANs

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=407339
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Shrnwldr

Re: AN WEBCAST
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:23:02 pm »
Thank you for sharing this site.  I watched it and it was very very informative.
Lots of information.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Derek

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 07:07:40 pm »
This is a 'must see' for anyone contemplating the microsurgical treatment option.

A highly professional and very graphic presentation well explained in lay terms and emphasising the crucial importance of selecting a surgical team with proven long experience in the successfull excision of acoustic neuromas.
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Derek

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:19:50 am »
I concur with the comments of Bruce particularly with regard to the webcast obviously being biased in favour of the microsurgery treatment option and the perceived facilities and expertise afforded by Waukesha Memorial Hospital and MD's Reichert and Harvey.

I should have clarified that aspect albeit my post was intended to convey the point that the webcast was an excelllent source of information for those requiring concise details relevant to the practical aspects of the microsurgery procedure.

Being in the present 'fortunate' position of having all treatment options available to me I still  remain totally committed to the alternative GK option as my preferred future treatment choice.
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 10:41:47 am »
... Also, one of the surgeons mentions that if radiosurgery fails, that it is harder to treat the AN via surgery due to scar tissue. Again, this is another popular myth.....

Bruce, please know this is not a myth. Please refer to my post on page 2 of this thread and Dr. Spunberg's comments, made on the CK Support board... would love your comments on that.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2915.msg32220#msg32220

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

FlyersFan68

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 11:32:33 am »
Good Video. I'm still quite glad I chose the micro-surgery route. I was fortunate not to experience eye or facial issues. Headaches too.  No more tumor and the only thing I miss the most is my hearing but most of the time I don't even realize that I am deaf in that ear because my good ear hears quite well. I would never suggest surgery or radiation to anyone because it's a serious personal decision but I can share my success from time to time. The tumor is gone and the video states that regrowth is uncommon. My surgeon feels the same. Lifelong control was a huge factor for me because being diagnosed at 35 years old  :(  twenty and thirty years from now will be here one day. I really didn't want to monitor something for life. When I am sixty five I want to enjoy my retirement tumor free. I would hate to have to  deal with another second treatment 7, 15 or 30 years from now. So micro-surgery and lifelong control was a big consideration. I felt the odds were better this route. Also, I wasn't satisfied with some of the radiation stats around the ten year mark following irradiation. Even the ten year marks had quite a number of drop-offs and I always wondered what happened to those patients. The statistics I've read stated that some patients even elected a salvage surgery following irradiation just 7 or 8 years later. Anyway, I am not opposed to radiation especially CK because it's a great option for those dealing with hard to reach cancerous lesions. I still think surgery was the better first choice for me and if a tumor grew back then I'm all for the CK. I always knew I would do this surgery once and only once. It is a big surgery and not everyone goes perfect.  I still personally agree with the doctors in the video.  Like I said earlier I would never suggest one procedure over the other because one has to weigh all their pros and cons of their individual situation but three years later I'm healthy and doing great. I'm deaf in one ear. It sucks but there are worse things that could happen. Phyl, thanks for correcting Bruce again. I'm sure there are times when its not much more difficult but that is not the whole truth and should not be taken for granted or considered a myth. I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here...just my opinion. Steve

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 12:39:39 pm »
Bruce, I so appreciate that you are up to snuff on your AN information.  You are surely a true voice of reason.  Maybe you should run for President!   ;D

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Shrnwldr

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 12:46:56 pm »
I have to say I agree with Steve.  This for me was a personal decision.  I knew I would elect to have microsurgery vs radiation. I am not good with followups and such.  Heck I don't even take medication like I am suppose.  I am 57 and I didn't want to have to deal with the idea of this perhaps growing again or whatever and the idea of "watch and see" is inconceivable to me.  I want it out and I want it completely gone NOW.   Dealing with all the possibilities of post-op well I will definitely meet each challenge as it comes.  I have tools, support, and resources at my finger tips.  The surgery is difficult, but I have a great team of caring competent doctors that I have all the confidence in and I have a beautiful daughter standing by me as well as some of the most top notch friends anyone could ask for!  I am truly blessed and without reservations know that I will come from this surgery a better person.  I have every intention of tattooing a phoenix on my back to remind me of this challenge.  I will arise from this better than before.

I personally enjoyed the webcam discussion  I felt that the doctors were highly intelligent and presented the procedure as well as themselves as completely knowledgeable and competent.  The surgery in itself was highly interesting as I will be "asleep" when all that occurs :).  

I know that everyone has an opinion  I also feel that the decision of treatment is very personal.  There are so many factors involved in this decision making process.  
Thank you for listening ~ Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 01:35:14 pm »
Phyl & Steve...

I still maintain my position that it is a myth to state "...if radiosurgery fails, that it is harder to treat the AN via surgery due to scar tissue." Although it is possible, as Dr. Spunberg suggests, that due to radiation "Sometimes scarring (as the volume treated includes some normal tissue) may make removal technically more difficult later on," the controlling word is "sometimes." That is where I take issue with Drs. Harvey and Reichert. They present the common myth that the tumor will be more difficult to remove. That simple is not true, thus a myth.

Ah, my dear friend, this is where we can agree to disagree.. :)

By having it "possible" occur does not make it a myth.  It makes it a possibility, thus, the challenge in going the radiation route.  Myths usually do not come true... in the case of surgery post radiation, it can and does, sometimes happen, thus, no myth.  Likelihood minimal, but can occur.

Bruce, I am not familiar with the piece by Drs. Harvey and Reichert... do you have a link to it? I would like to read their full thoughts on it..... truly.

*rallies the volleyball back over net to Bruce!* :)

With respect (heck, you know that!)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Shrnwldr

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 01:42:27 pm »
I truly and really really believe that the type of treatment is personal.  I feel that each and everyone should research and read and search their soul and decide for the best treatment for them.  Whatever that may be.  The people on this website has been totally instrumental in my decision making process.  I have so much information and links to website with even more information and insight... I truly appreciate alll that it was been  instrumental. Knowledge IS power! 

With the Webcam, I was curious and grateful  now I know what the procedure looks like
2cm x1cm, right side

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 02:13:44 pm »
Bruce,

No one here is saying that each person does not have the right to make their own decisions and I am in full agreement with you that each of us needs to be as best educated about our own situations to make the best well-informed decision that we can for ourselves.    Many viewpoints are being presented, yes.. and in agreement with you,  we support each and every decision that each person makes.

The stats are high that circumstances can arise if microsurgery is required post radio treatment.  There are risks in having to take surrounding normal tissue that was initially untouched during radiotreatment.  I can only hope that any of us that do choose radio as our treatment option do not have to run into the surgical approach should radio fail.  To me, the risks of doing surgery post failed radio are higher instead of doing surgery from the initial decision onset.  it's part of the radio-decision making process and I have faith in everyone to weigh out all pros and cons in doing the decision making process. 

As we all know, there are risks with AN's, period, in how they are treated, regardless of what avenue one choises for their treatment choice.  I do find it interesting that the medical community can differ in thoughts as it pertains to procedures, outcomes, etc.  To me, regardless of a medical condition (AN or otherwise), we do have to research to the best of our abilities.  No one is disputing what you say... I just find it interesting that different medical professionals can state different things and it's up to us, as well-informed patients, to decifer between it all and to do what is best for us.

No one is disputing you on it, Bruce...... ok?

Phyl