Author Topic: Four Months Post Op  (Read 4081 times)

iowaboy

Four Months Post Op
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:47:18 pm »
I had a small (1cm) AN removed (mid cranial fossa approach) on my right side.I find myself improving all the time. I am now deaf on the right side, as they had to sever the nerve to get the thing out. I still have some minor balance problems, and my eye tears when I eat - and other times too. That is minor compared to the dry eye I had at first. I have heard this is something I will have to live with (the tearing). My face had a huge droop on the surgery side and many thought I had a stroke. I am pleased to say that one day my face woke up and now my smile is nearly normal. It had steadily improved, but I didn't notice at first. Others that didn't see me everyday kept saying how much better I looked. Then on a Sunday I noticed I could move my cheek some. It was weird, my face (cheek) just started working some 2 Sundays ago. It was a joyous day! I still have some numbness in my lips but I think it is getting better too. The side of my tongue has a metalic taist from the partial numbness. My right eye still droops, but I can only hope that gets better like my face did. After surgery (day after) they tested the nerves and everything worked fine. The next day they didn't. My theory is the swelling did it. Hopefully, everything will return to normal someday. My only advice is to be patient. Brain surgery really messes stuff up.   :)

heyyouconnie

Re: Four Months Post Op
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 07:30:05 am »
Iowaboy, where are you from? I use to live in Ames my first 33 years. I hated the extreme hot and the extreme cold. My last year, it was over 100 degrees in the summer and two nights it was 104 below with wind chill and 98 below with wind chill. That is too big of a difference for me. Then I lived in FL where it was hot all the time, and now live in NC where it is between 20-75 during the year. They call me a half back around here. Started up north, moved way south and I am half way back now.  becknell is from Iowa orginally too.

When was your surgery? Mine was Mar 1. Sounds like your recovery is a lot like mine. I haven't had a normal smile tho. I miss my smile, it was my best feature. All the symptoms you have, deaf, dry eyes to having tears, tongue, etc is all that I am having. But the doc did say that my runny nose and teary ear are connected by a common nerve and it is starting to "charge". It is coming back. And there is a place on the side of my nose that is sore when I rub it. Must be that nerve.

Brain surgery is a *****, isn't it. Today I was walking from the kitchen to the bedroom and lost my balance and poured coffee on the wall! Like I said to becknell, AN surgery doesn't improve your life, it saves it.

Good luck on recovery!

becknell

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 07:41:46 am »
Iowaboy, I'm originally from Waukon, which is about 90 miles north of Dubuque. Where are you? I graduated from the U of Iowa in 1983. Now I live in N.C. My husband is going to have his AN surgery at Duke on Aug. 22. Sounds like you are doing well, although I know the progress is slow. I was on one Web site where an An patient had posted pictures of his face from post-op to one year after surgery and every few months in between. Can't remember the site, but I remember that the overall improvement was huge from beginning to end, although the progress was slow. Hang in there. I hope it gets better for you!! Jennifer

russ

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 07:45:18 pm »
Hi Iowans!
  Waterloo native here. Left there in 72, moved around some, and now near Mason City.
  Had 1st op at UIHC by Brian McCabe. Director b-4 Dr. Bruce Gantz. Watch and wait pt. now at Mayo Clinic.
  Best wishes to all and it's sweet corn time in Ioway!
  Hubby nervous, Jennifer?

christineL

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 06:51:25 am »
Looks like quite a few from Iowa.....
My Hubby had Mid fossa approach at U of Iowa 3 years ago with Dr. Gantz. Can not say anything bad about him or his staff. We were lucky to live only 25 miles from the U.
My hubby had a 12 hour surgery, was in the hosp. 3 days and back to work in a week. Besides losing his hearing in his left side, and the everyday, all day ringing in his ears, he is doing great. I just wish I could get him to go back for a yearly check-up. He just wont do it.

jcinma

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 06:47:58 pm »
Dear Christine,
I had AN surgery 9 years ago and post op report stated total removal. I did have a followup MRI a year later and it confirmed the report.  Well, back then they had you go one year post op and then again 5 years.  I waited 6yrs. and the MRI showed a 3cm reccurrence.  Please insist that your husband have yearly MRIs.  I ended up having the tumor debulked in Feb 2005 and followed up with FSR.  The goal was to preserve the facial nerve (it did).  I will be going for my first MRI in November and then again in May 2006. Please share with him my experience-
Thanks
Jane
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA