Author Topic: Change in the game plan  (Read 3108 times)

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
Change in the game plan
« on: July 30, 2005, 10:59:47 pm »
Hi everyone. Thought I would update you all on the new changes in my AN adventure. I met for the final pre-surgery consult with my surgeons on Friday. With all the test now in they have decided that I am a good canidate for retrosigmoid approach. I have no hearing loss so they tell me this method gives me a better chance of preservation and that my chances of an undamaged facial nerve is excellent with this approach.
Needless to say, I have been going a bit crazy in search of info on this type of surgery. Some of my fear is subsiding now and I think I am ready to just get on with it. This road has seemed forever long eventhough its only been two months. If anyone here can offer advise I do welcome it. I am sure I have seen others on here that had retrosigmoid. Can any of you tell me what to expect?
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

kristin

Re: Change in the game plan
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 07:52:11 am »
hi! i'm so glad to read that you are going to have an approach that would save your hearing. i looked back and saw that you were originally going to have translab and then move on to middle fossa and i remember wondering why they would do translab when you have no hearing loss. i'm happy for you and your new "change in the game plan".

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:09:24 am »
Thank you so much Kristin. I remember back then too and the lost feeling I had. I just could not find any peace with any answers so I had decided to kind of try to have blind faith.
I am so much more at ease now with the new approach. Tomorrow is the day... :-\
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

stein78

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:06:18 am »
They used the retrosigmoid approach on me.  Unfortunately, they were unable to save any hearing.  When I got home I had some minor delayed weakness in my face, but that went away within 3 weeks.  The only thing I deal with now is adjusting to the hearing loss.  Other than that I feel great!  Good luck to you!
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:29:55 pm »
Thank you Stein. I will let you know as soon as possible. Will be leaving for the hospital in a couple of hours so the nail biting has commenced....