Author Topic: post gk hearing  (Read 4801 times)

computerchic

post gk hearing
« on: January 30, 2007, 06:45:09 pm »
 :-\ I am trying to decide to do gk or wait. The tumor is 1cm + now but my hearing is 100% good, except for this screaming tinnitis. How does the gk affect your hearing? I am interested in post gk patients experiences. Thanks

Mark

Re: post gk hearing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 07:52:46 pm »
GK with a one dose treatment plan will maintain pre-treatment hearing levels at approximately a 60-65% probability rate as a rough average of most studies I've seen. A fractionated protocol with CK is currently producing a unchanged usable hearing rate of around 74-75% with an average drop off on the rest of about 12db

here is a recent study from Stanford

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15918941&itool=iconabstr&query_hl=21

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

computerchic

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:12:56 pm »
Thank You! That report was very helpful.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:37:58 pm »
Hi computerchic and welcome (waves hi to Mark as well!)

It was quoted to me that with fractionated, hearing retention should be (barring risks) within 5-7% of what hearing was at time of treatment (CK).  I cannot answer as it pertains to GK.

As Mark noted, my last hearing test, which was 8 mos post treatment, showed my hearing has diminished 10-15db with slight decrease in voice recognition (from 100% to 96%.)  My next hearing test is next week, so will update then.  I can tell you that I can still hear fine (I was at the bottom of the "normal" range at my last test), use my AN ear as my "phone" ear and otherwise, I claim "selective hearing" when it comes to my spouse :)

If you are looking to do a form of radio-treatment, there are many interesting threads in the "Radiation" forum and in the "Archives" that people have shared data, experiences, etc, as it pertains to their hearing, balance, etc.  Maybe worth a peek.

Hang in there... welcome... and we're here to cheer you on. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"