Author Topic: Saw Dr. McKenna today  (Read 6720 times)

Ellid

Saw Dr. McKenna today
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:47:43 pm »
And first and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone who recommended him to me.  He and his staff gave me the most thorough, compassionate, informative medical appointment I have ever had, and they were delighted that I'd contacted the ANA for information.  I am very pleased with his attitude and approach, and that of his staff, and the trip to and from Boston was most definitely worth it.  So thanks, Phyl and Katie and everyone else!  Good recommendation.

As for what Dr. McKenna actually recommended - watch and wait stance for now.  The tumor is only 1.6 cm, and he'd like me to have another MRI in March and a third in September to see if the AN is growing.  If it isn't, I can get by with an MRI every year until it grows, at which time we decide on further treatment.  If it does grow, I'll see about treatment later this year or early next year.  I think he's more inclined toward microsurgery for me (my AN is long and sort of oval-shaped, which may mean it's touching more of the nerves) but he said he'd give me referrals to Dr. Barker, his microsurgeon, and Dr. Lefler, the radiation oncologist who does the AN work at Mass General.

I'm still seeing Dr. Mason at Baystate Medical Center next week, but unless he's absolutely dazzling I'm treating with Dr. McKenna.  I can have my MRIs done at the same facility that did the first one and have the results sent to Dr. McKenna, and then see him when I need to decide on my next step. 

So there it is:  watch and wait, at least for the next nine months.  I can live with that.

Lisa/Ellid
Diagnosed 12/8/06 with 1.6 x 1.4 x 1.3 cm AN right side.  Currently on watch-and-wait with Dr. Michael McKenna, Mass Eye & Ear Infirmary, Boston.

jcinma

Re: Saw Dr. McKenna today
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 10:06:16 pm »
Lisa,
One of the greatest criteria for the AN doctor is experience, something that Mckenna has lots of.  Please ask Dr. Mason how many procedures he does each year. I met him back in 2004 and at the time he was only doing a couple a year.  He was extremely professional and informative but I wanted someone with a lot more experience.
Jane
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

Obita

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:43:58 am »
Hi Lisa:

It sounds like you have yourself a good doctor. 

I hope you can relax a little now. 

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:01:30 am »
Lisa,
Well, this must all put your heart a bit more at ease!  At least it would for me.  Lots of time to relax, research, and think about things before making any decisions.

I've always found Dr. McKenna and his staff to be open and accessible - as a new patient, in the hospital, and for post-op follow-up.  I'm glad you had a good experience, too.  And I was more than happy to be on watch-and-wait mode when I was first diagnosed.  Unfortunately, my AN grew 5mm in a year, so that didn't last long.  :-(

One thing to note - if you want to find out more about radiation options, I'd also talk with the people at Beth Israel (CK) and Dr. Noren down in Providence (GK) to get their opinions as well.  You don't *have* to stay at MGH (which doesn't offer all the radiation options) for radiation just because you're seeing Dr. McKenna right now. 

Maybe we'll see you at the next brunch?   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:25:14 am »
Lisa,

TICKLED that you felt such a comfort level with MGH and Dr. McKenna.  Feeling peace of mind and heart with your treating physician, as well as their experiences and others they have treated is so key and I'm glad you had a "warm cushy" feeling with him. This is great news.

Will be plotting our next brunch soon and do hope you can join us. Please keep an eye here for our next one, come (possibly) March/April.

Be well, hang in there......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Ellid

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 09:04:12 pm »
Lisa,
Well, this must all put your heart a bit more at ease!  At least it would for me.  Lots of time to relax, research, and think about things before making any decisions.

I've always found Dr. McKenna and his staff to be open and accessible - as a new patient, in the hospital, and for post-op follow-up.  I'm glad you had a good experience, too.  And I was more than happy to be on watch-and-wait mode when I was first diagnosed.  Unfortunately, my AN grew 5mm in a year, so that didn't last long.  :-(

One thing to note - if you want to find out more about radiation options, I'd also talk with the people at Beth Israel (CK) and Dr. Noren down in Providence (GK) to get their opinions as well.  You don't *have* to stay at MGH (which doesn't offer all the radiation options) for radiation just because you're seeing Dr. McKenna right now. 

Katie

I hope so!  When will it be?  I'd love to meet you all!

Diagnosed 12/8/06 with 1.6 x 1.4 x 1.3 cm AN right side.  Currently on watch-and-wait with Dr. Michael McKenna, Mass Eye & Ear Infirmary, Boston.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 03:07:24 pm »
Hi all,

Getting ready to plan the next brunch... thinking March.....

Ellid, you are in FAB hands at MGH with Barker/McKenna... heck of a surgical team they have there.. and I have to admit, seeing kbonner, Crazykat, jcinma, yoga after they all had their surgeries there, heck..... you look at each and every single one of them and say "you had brain surgery?"  You would absolutely never know and each and every single one of them are doing fantastic.... most impressive.

Phyl

Lisa,

Katie

I hope so!  When will it be?  I'd love to meet you all!

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 12:49:13 pm »
The Crazycat will be back up north for the March brunch!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Ellid

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:11:50 pm »
The Crazycat will be back up north for the March brunch!!

Paul

Gad...your AN must have been huge!  So glad you went to MGH - that sounds nasty!

As for brunch...I'll be out of town on March 10th and March 24th.  I'm in a medieval re-enactment group and will be teaching a class on medieval quilting on the 10th and judging an arts competition on the 24th.  All Sundays are free, though.

Lisa