Author Topic: ringing in ears  (Read 13069 times)

Lorenzo

Re: ringing in ears
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 01:28:44 am »
Sam, VJH, I can't see the screen from the tears, haven't laughed lek this for a while. Thanks, good recovery strategy laughter.

My tinnitus is very poetic and romantic. Rustling  leaves and gentle stream noises. All I need is birdsong and a few popping noises and it would be like a picnic in my head.

Ciao, Lorenzo
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:02:11 am by Lorenzo »

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 01:48:09 am »
Oh you just wait, I'm sure we will eventually knock you out of your seat, I have found myself doing absolutely crazy things, and strange things happening to me since I found my AN. Just the other day my wife was sitting on my deaf side(my AN side), and asked if I would hand her the chex mix, I remember feeling total shock, thinking "my wife has never used profanity like this around me before" and you don't want to know what I thought she really said. Now,I really felt ashamed about that.
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Lorenzo

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 02:09:24 am »
Being a clueless European and not being familiar with Chix Mix, I have to admit, sadly, that i don't get it. But I only blame myself of course and my AN for this lack of understanding. Maybe you can send me a personal message and clarify that one, please? I want to be knocked off the chair. That's of course if you're not too embarrassed to tell me...

;D

Ciao, Lorenzo

TastyKakeman

• 2.0cm removed John Hopkins Dr Henry Brem .
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 10:44:42 am »
Hi everyone, Before my AN operation I had Tinnitus for about 15 yrs. I was told by my ENT to live with it. Sounds were moderate hissing to loud ringing over years. I has literally brought me to my knees. It's a disease with no known cure. After my AN operation on the left side the ringing noise has increased. It will have to take a U.S. Senator or a Congressman the missed fortune of contacting " The T " before there is any research done. I have not heard or read of any one who's tinnitus was cured. I am a member of ATA and get their newsletter every month or so. I do not want bring the forum down with my reply but this is the way I live my life. With the "T" and the "AN" it has been a struggle. Left side paralyzed with the droopy lip , hearing loss, and eye not closing or tearing. I thank my GOD that it wasn't worst. I thank this forum also.        BOB
Bob

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 11:12:55 am »
Hi Bob;

I know, my tinnitus since surgery is louder, sometimes so loud I can't take it.

Once, & only once, it was GONE - only lasted about 5 minutes, but WHAT A RELIEF !!!!

I can sure empathize with everything you're going thru.

Take care, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

michael

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 07:58:35 pm »
Bob,

I am sorry to hear about how difficult your situation is. I keep thinking that someone will come up with a hearing aid that will be the opposite of our ringing and "white out" the noise so we can get some quiet time. With mine I think it is just back ground for the voices in my head. (kidding) I love music and love full orchestra, Celtic Woman is a new favorite, my children's chorus and I sing in the choir. When I am listening to the music I tend to forget about the ringing if only for a moment.
I have a friend that has tinnitus (no AN) and he used a noise machine for white noise at night, that helped for a few years and he eventually got use to the noise. He was depressed and nearly suicidal when it all began but was able to get help through counseling
and family support. Don't not ask for help when you need it!
I tell my kids that it is a signal from space aliens, I just haven't found a way to decode the signal yet.   
I hope things will get better for you!

Michael
11 MM AN - Gamma Knife 4/2004 - Wake Forest/Baptist Hospital - North Carolina, Dr. Ed Shaw

noriders

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 01:30:04 pm »
I am 3 years into a 30 day FSR treated AN. 1.5cm left side.

About 6 months ago the tinnitus began on a constant basis. I still have useful hearing in my affected side although impaired. I am an audio engineer of 20 years and have some knowledge of how sound is perceived.

About a month ago, out of the blue when I would hear certain frequencies (around 8 to 10 kHz) a resonating, tearing sound would rip into my middle ear on the left side. This was very painful both mentally & physically.

From what I know of tinnitus, it is believed to be caused by the inbalance of the reporting of sound from the left & right side to the brain. The brain fills in the missing frequencies to compensate on the affected side.

What I was told by my FSR surgeon is that I will always have hearing loss in that ear, but that it will be changing for a while due to the fact that the neuro fiber is more susceptible to the radiation than normal tissue and that it is inflamed. Well what do you do with an inflammation? You rest it. So I stuck an earplug in my affected ear for weeks. The tearing sensation went away but what was cool is that a certain amount (some fequencies) of hearing came back... well were better.

Reagurding my everyday tinnitus, on days when it is really bad, I have experimented with putting a plug in my good ear. This is not ideal since it does not target the frequnecy loss in the bad ear thus a balanced sound reporting to the brain. But it does offer some relief at times.

This makes technical sense to me, and I think is worth a try. Hell it only an ear plug.

Pat

kat

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 12:46:13 pm »
Hi everyone

I am afraid that tinnitus seems to be something that most of us ANers just have to live with. Mine has not got any better or any worse from when I was first diagnosed. Sometimes at night I wake up and think think that I hear a burglar alarm in the street but nine times out of ten it turns out to be my tinnitus . Most of the time my mind seems to just edit it out but when I really start
to listen to it I am amazed that I can live with it without going grazy . The most annoying thing by far is the fact that I have lost
the ability to tell where most sounds are coming from which is a bit annoying when the phone rings and I have not got any idea where I left it . I am a bit grumpy to day since I still have not heard what the results of my MRI scan done on 15th of Dec are
 I think that I must call them tomorrow and start kicking butt to find out how much longer I have to wait . That is the NHS for you I suppose .

Regards to all Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .