Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

Are we more susceptable to sea-sickness after AN?

(1/4) > >>

HeadCase2:
  About 2 years before being diagnosed with an AN, I went deep-sea fishing off North Carolina, and spent most of the day sea-sick and heaving over the side.  The fishing was great and I enjoyed myself, even though I was throwing up about every half hour and couldn't even keep water down.  In retrospect, I'm wondering if it was the AN making me more susceptible to sea-sickness.  Once I got back to land, the nausea cleared up immediately.
I'm a little concerned that if I were to go deep-sea fishing again, which I would love to do, that after leaving the dock I'd be sea sick and  trapped for the day heaving over the side.  What’s been your experience with boats and sea sickness after AN?   
Regards,
 Rob   

ppearl214:
Rob,

My thoughts........ if your AN is affecting the vestibular nerve and hearing and balance are thrown off for you, IMO, could very well be.  So, if your balance was/is thrown off, toss in a bit of dizziness for good measure, my bet is that it could definately have an affect....

...and next time you go deep sea fishing, can I come along?  You can bait my hook for me but I'm there with you! LOVE to go deep sea fishing.  Just heave in the opposite direction, ok? :)

Phyl

Lorenzo:
Well, I don't fish, at all. But, on my travels from here to Europe I have to take a ferry for 24 hours to bring our car over. I did numerous times, winter and summer, high seas and flat waters too. Still doing it, even after treatment. I have to say, nothing has happened. In fact I think I feel less wobbly now than before treatment. I can even manage to eat a full meal with rolling seas without loosing it all again. So, I guess the experience you had was BEFORE your balance system had adjusted to the impaired hearing. Once your balance has adjusted, you should be ok. Not sure if that would apply to microsurgery mind you. Maybe somebody else has a view on that.
Ciao, Lorenzo

Joef:

I was out on a small boat this spring (salt) and did not have any trouble, and was out a few years ago (Pre AN) in VERY high waves .. (I was holding on for dear life) .. and did not get sea sick .... so I think the short answer is no, BUT I'm sure it doesn't help .. some people have more trouble than others.. what I do see is now I have more trouble keeping balance.. I need to be holding on to something so I dont fall over...

Windsong:
Rob,

What kind of fish were you after? lol...

My own experience on boats: 

No problems for most of my life, then during a holiday when I was on a boat in the ocean off Tobago, a nice attack of sea sickness. A stranger  nearby also had it but she had some gravol. So i blithely suggested we take one even though neither of us had a water bottle with us. Well, eating gravol is a horrid taste experience without water, so on top of the seasickness we were now quite "sick" from the taste. A gentleman nearby took pity on our moans and gasps and kindly offered us a beer from his cooler. Problem solved and we all had a great time after that. Snorkelling off the reefs not fishing lol....

Next episode was on a liner off Florida. I was fine on the upper decks early on but the farther out we got in the ocean the more I felt seasick. After dropping anchor and after a storm came up with waves heaving the vessel I really felt seasick and by then i was somewhere down on a lower deck. Rescue came in the form of dramamine and spending most of the trip lying down on a couch in the captain's office. (after throwing up into the wind and rain over a railing on a top deck).... Not a good trip.

Spending a couple of days on a big yacht going through the lock system up here and then in Georgian Bay was fine;   however, the water was pretty calm. That was a great trip.

All this was 15 to 10 years before my An was found. I haven't been on a boat of any kind since a "viral" attack seven yrs before my An was discovered. The vestibular nerve was pretty much destroyed then (probably affected by the An) and it took yrs to compensate with balance. I still can get wobbly. Plus my neurotologist said it can take as long as 2 years to do that.

Maybe if you take a good dose of gravol you can go deep sea fishing?
Reel in some good catches!!!

all the best,
W.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version