Author Topic: vomiting?  (Read 6121 times)

superrmaren

vomiting?
« on: January 01, 2007, 04:17:57 pm »
woo - i wasnt on this site in forever -- they changed it!
anyway -- im almost 5 months out from surgery. things are going well. i'm still doing the therapy thing and have graduated from a walker to a cane! very exciting! everthing seems to be going along fine - slowly but surely.
the only problem is vomiting! after i eat sometimes i throw up! it is not all the time but is becoming more frequent. i've tried to find a common denominator but can't think of a thing.
has anyone experienced this? my eye doc suggested something with the vagus nerve?
help! i'm going nuts! i loooooove to eat but things just dont taste as good coming up the other wayyyy! haha
thanks!!
xox
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: vomiting?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 08:13:22 pm »
maren,

great to see you again and thrilled you have graduated from walker to cane! :) Great news.

Not heard of the vomiting and curious how your balance and any dizziness is that you may be experiencing?  Also, have you spoken to a GI dr about this?  If this is a frequent occurance, please please make sure you are re-hydrydrating and replenishing your electrolytes, by use of drinks like Gatorade/Powerade.  You need to watch those electrolytes.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

littlemissrory

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:22:12 pm »
Maren,

Congrats on your positive progress!  I had the nausea/vomiting before surgery...then all was well...then the nausea kicked in again awhile ~1 year after.  Feeling much better now, but when the nausea kicked in again after we ruled out regrowth or other problems a thought was that since the scar tissue was shrinking (seen on MRI) that possibly the healing around the balance nerve caused it- just a thought.

Things that help:
Acupuncture

GINGER...not gingerale.  Real ginger.  Yogi Tea makes a great Ginger tea, also buy the root (in the veggie section) and put it in EVERYTHING.

Sea-Bands (at the pharmacy) used for sailing...great for nausea and heading off vomiting.

Keep to small meals, and listen to Phyl...electolytes.  There is also a vitamin packet called Emergen-C.  Has all the vitamins and minerals in different flavors, slightly fizzy (it's a powder you put in water) that stayed down well for me.

Best of luck to you, hopefully this too will improve as your walking has.
Happy New Year.
Rory

marystro

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:54:36 pm »
My Australian friend from Melbourne sent me ginger candy from down under for my radiosurgery.  They were so good and I devoured them all on day 1.

My mom always got us kids ginger food - ginger candy, ginger concoction, ginger soup...  They are supposed to take care of vomiting.  I tried them and they all worked.  Thousands of years old Chinese medicine.

Hope this helps.
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

tony

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 01:34:29 am »
Happy New Year - and it is worth getting this double checked
the nerve that controls the swallowing function is not very far
away from the facial nerve - some NF2s that have extensive
surgery, experiance swallowing difficulties imediately post op.
It is strange, in your case, that it is some while after
It may just be local bruising/swelling, as yet unresolved
- still worth a check up
Best regards
Tony

superrmaren

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 07:37:16 pm »
well, i'm going to the doctor for a check-up next week. i'm going to keep a log of the things i eat and when i vomit.
eating less - i can do. anyone else want to go on a diet for their new year's resolution?? haha
and ginger - i've never heard of that! well worth a try (and it sounds like a good excuse for sushi!)
thanks
xox
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

littlemissrory

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:06:18 pm »
Whoa there! 

Ginger yes...but sushi???  Take it a bit slow and let the body learn how to keep things down.  Maybe try a bit more conservative approach such as when you've had the flu.  Small amounts, maybe let the ginger be the flavor but stick to somewhat blander fare- oh, and dairy and acidic (tomato, oranges...etc) are usually quicker to cause upset.  Broth soups with ginger- MUCH easier on the stomach.  Build up and over time, possibly weeks-but maybe less, slowly reintroduce.  Remember, your body has been through a traumatic event...be kind.

;D

Here's to eating everything...soon.
Rory

matti

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 09:08:38 am »
Rory - I enjoyed reading the wonderful article about you, what an inspiration!!!  Good to see you back on the forum ;D

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 09:29:19 am »
Darn,

I just wrote a very long explaination on this.    (regarding "throwing-up")  The computer deleted my long post.  (how I treat my GR and it works; she has a tender colon)  Well, I'm not up for typing it all in again.  This can apply to humans, as well!

The bottom-line:

White rice and cottage cheese for a week.  (non-salt broth can be poured on it)  Eat plain yogurt.......the right balance....putting bad bacteria into the colon.  You can buy the pills in the health section at the specialty market or health food store. After a week if all goes well, add long grain wild rice for a couple of days and gradually work to normal diet.  (full nutrition)

Check gums/gingiva on a dog to see if they return to light pink color.  (pusing on it turns white and then "pink-up" when you remove the finger)  Watch out for dehydration upon a person or animal with continuous vomiting.  (the gums recede over time from vomiting; this is serious)

Stay in communication with a doctor.  You might need IV fluids.  (or animal/pet)  This is nothing to fool around with.  The reflux can ruin your teeth, etc.

Pal
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:32:43 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

littlemissrory

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:01:02 pm »
Thanks Cheryl!
I'm hoping to push a bit harder with The Brain Tumor Society fundraiser this year and get it on our local tv...one of the anchor women has had two surgeries for brain tumors so they have been interested.  Trying to post a little more often, this was a great thread...I like the nutrition side of things. 

Maren-
Hopefully some, or all, things listed on this thread will offer you some relief.  Keep us posted on how your doing.
Cheers all!
Rory

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:35:48 am »
I know I developed reflux post surgery so wondering if you're actually throwing up or if it's more a sour taste garbage thing.  I know for me I just questioned the vagus nerve theory with the surgical nurse last week.  She was very vague in her reply.  I've eliminated acidic foods, greasy foods, soda, and caffiene from my diet and it's helped.  I was given aciphex to help with the reflux issues.  Are you real nauseated from the balance issues? 

Let us know what your doc says on your next appt.!