General Category > Hearing Issues

Hearing Aids

<< < (2/5) > >>

Palace:
BP

That is a wonderful Christmas present, your clean MRI report.

Chyeryl, I was sad for you about your not getting your replacement device fitted or programmed correctly.  Hopefully, they can extend the the thirty day guarantee but, I know how things are these days.  Darn, I'm frustraited for you.

I don't know much about hearing aids, just the little I have read from you people.  I can't hear cars from behind, either........that scares me.  I walk the dogs in the street lots as, we don't have sidewalks in the mountains going to town, etc.

Take care everyone,

Palace

Battyp:
Cheryl what a bummer!  I was told that if they gave me something and I didn't like it they'd start over and renew my 30 days...guess they won't do that there?  Hey just wait until day 29 and tell them I changed my mind  LOL  That it'll make them listen!

I'll be going after new years to get evaluated at this new place and see what they have to say.  At least she wasn't going to charge me and will do a new audiogram to determine if I can or can't hear in my left ear.  Should at least be educational!

Boppie:
Still celebrating my new hearing aid...but I am throwing this in as a reminder about hearing aids for SSD.  You will not usually "know" which direction a sound is coming from with a deaf ear hearing aid. 

When using an aid it is possible to hear and localize on the deaf side when I am looking at the speaker or automobile or truck, but that is because I am employing visual information.  A truck in my rear view or deaf side mirror still sounds as if it is on my good side.  But I do benefit from hearing it. 

Don't expect to get directional hearing from your new hearing aid.  You will still be "hearing" with the functioning one ear/cochlea/ nerve.

When I am in a car (I am right side deaf) I can pick up the road noise on my right and that is a comfort, just the normality of this sound seems nice.  I do feel safer with the aid in my ear. 

I don't want to minimize the benefits of a hearing aid, I would feel sadder without mine, but I don't want readers to get the notion that directionality is possible for me yet.  Maybe the technology will improve.

Battyp:
I get freaked out as I can't hear cars approching from behind in a parking lot.  After almost being hit twice I get real anxious while going to the store by myself. 

What do you get a ssd person for xmas for  hours of entertainment?  You get them a gizmo that when you whistle it lets you locate your missing keys  LOL  My mom bless her heart meant well but didn't realize that with the lip numbness I can no longer whistle and I can't locate sound so my keys will continue to stay lost  LOL 

Static:
Batty,
I feel the same way about the CROS but will try to work with whatever I can get at this point.  If it doesn't work, I guess I will just deal, as I have been, but did ask the audiologist about the transear.  The girls in the office pulled up info for her so I guess  I'll find out when I go back :/  I would like the idea of regaining directional hearing because I can't tell where things are coming from (especially when I can't see them).  I've had a few too many close ones with cars and people through this Christmas shoppng season.  BTW, congrats on your clean MRI,  hope things are gettin better for ya!
~Karen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version