General Category > AN Issues

Cyber knife vs surgery

(1/1)

Roggae:
Good morning. I was recently diagnosed with a medium cpa meningioma. It’s in a challenging spot. I understand that a meningioma is not an AN but that treatment options are similar.

I’ve spoken with a leading cyber knife program and a surgical team. For my case, I understand the costs and benefits of both routes and the probabilities of needing future treatment. Surgery will likely offer a 50 percent chance of no further treatment at best. CK is 93 percent no further treatment. CK seems to hold less risk for complications like speech, swallowing, and facial issues. For me, CK seems like the best treatment. Can I ask group members to share their perspectives when faced with this choice? This seems like a straightforward decision, but it’s all new to me. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

DanFouratt:
Roggae,

Sorry I responded to your other post before this.I went through the surgery vs radiation decision process.  I am not a doctor but after reviewing my options I too sided with CK. I spent about three months reviewing both before deciding.

Good luck with your procedures.

Dan

dwilliams35:
I got offered the choice there, I went with the GK just from the much shorter downtime after surgery.  Everything worked well so far, think I probably made the right decision given the options.  After I got to the other Neurosurgeon that actually did the GK, he said that my particular tumor would really be a lot better handled with the GK anyway, so that worked out.

greenamw:
Dealing with medical decisions is never easy. I had a meningioma scare a while back, and I opted for surgery. It was a tough choice, but my doc thought it was the best route. Recovery was a bit of a rollercoaster, but overall, things worked out fine. Everyone's situation is different, though.

mwatto:
I had CK almost 5 years ago and mine has shrunk by half. No side effects I know of so far. I had nerve pain but this was TMJ so not the AN as a simple night guard sorted it. Feel free to PM me. In Australia almost my total bill was paid by Medicare. I think we had 3k out of pocket as were refunded on the same day. I was told in my own case surgery would have been very long and risky. However who knows really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version