Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Choosing Microsurgery

(1/4) > >>

skier:
Hi,
I am getting mentally ready for my upcoming surgery. I find myself lurking on the chatboard a lot.

An acoustic neuroma is a tough diagnosis, because of the complex symptoms, the uncertainty of its progression, and the relative lack of medical consensus about what to do.

Educate, educate, educate. Get the New Patient Kit. Read it all. Listen to doctors on the video seminars on the ANA website.

Get second opinions from the top doctors you can find.

Ask your tough questions on Zoom support meetings, in appointments with MDs, or elsewhere. Prioritize the information from MDs and experts over the stories from patients.

Remember, anecdotes are all we patients can offer each other. Our first-hand experience is interesting and often helpful to others. However it isn't a substitute for medical advice that is given to you directly about you, from an MD who has learned your symptoms, your hopes/fears, and who has analyzed your MRI and audiogram.

I am grateful to all the people here who have told their stories. It's also key to educate yourself about the medical perspective on this tough diagnosis and get those second (and third) opinions until you feel comfortable with your decision. I really valued both types of advice greatly.

Best,
Skier

DanFouratt:
Well said, we are ourt best advocates.

In my decision journey one person told me when you make a decision do not second guess yourself! Some of the best advice I received. As you can seen in my signature block I went a differ path. 

I wish you the best with surgery and recovery.

donjehle:
That's a great summary of good counsel, skier!  That's very helpful for new members (and for those who lurk).

We wish you the best on your upcoming surgery!

skier:
I'm about 3 weeks post-translab. I was deaf in that ear before surgery, so no difference there. The tinnitus seems quieter and different.

I'm told the trans-lab was successful with a total tumor resection and that the facial nerve is intact.

My facial nerve function is excellent.

These results, along with no change in balance compared to pre-surgery, were a big relief.

I find myself feeling a little lost, as there is a big emotional change between 2.5 years of dreading surgery--and now 3 weeks post-op. A bit up and down emotionally, although the recovery is going super well.

Anyway, so far so good. I went to the best surgical team I knew of, and I'm glad that I did. Thank you Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz--and team.

Also, all the testimonials for them on this chat board helped me decide. It was so good to feel safe in their care.

Best,
Skier

Lost significant hearing in left ear, March 2021, tentative diagnosis SSNHL with viral damage. Age 63.
MRI Oct 2021 and Dec 2021 (with proper protocol) : Diagnosis small Acoustic Neuroma, left ear. New balance problems.
MRI June 2022: 2mm growth in largest dimension. 
MRI June 2023: 4mm growth in one year to reach just less than 2cm in longest dimension. Advised to Treat.
Status June 2023: Fully deaf in left ear per audiogram. Balance function: compensating very well and improving with Vest. Rehab. PT pre-op.

Treatment choice: Translab surgery with UCSD. Oct. 2023.
Results: Full tumor resection; facial nerve preserved. Balance function very similar to pre-surgery/perhaps the same.

DanFouratt:
Thank you for sharing a great outcome.  Good luck in your continued recovery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version