Author Topic: Riding motorcycle after surgery.  (Read 971 times)

Doug C.

Riding motorcycle after surgery.
« on: March 26, 2023, 08:14:15 pm »
Greetings.  Does anyone have experience riding motorcycles post surgery, after having vestibular nerve removed?  I’ve searched for this in other threads, but much of the feedback I read was old and sporadic.

I’ve been riding motorcycles for decades.  Prior to being diagnosed with AN, I was experiencing left side hearing loss and some weird balance issues.  This made me insecure on the bikes, so I sold them. 

Now that I know what caused these symptoms, I’m hoping to be in a position to get back to riding again.  Anticipate having middle fossa surgery early summer, and hoping I regain control of my balance enough to ride.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Left side 1cm AN, tinnitus, upper frequency hearing loss.  Diagnosed 10/20/22.  Currently weighing options.

Greece Lover

Re: Riding motorcycle after surgery.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 07:36:31 am »
I can answer, but only with regard to bicycles.  I generally have no problem post mid-fossa.  In the summer I bike between 50 and 70 miles a week.   It takes a while to get back into it after surgery, but I rarely notice any issues.  Occasionally, with a quick head turn, I have to be a bit carful.  But I suspect on a motorcycle you'd be fine as well. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:06:29 pm »
I agree with Greece Lover.  It took a bit before I got back on my bicycle (had broken leg and ankle surgery just before tumor surgery) but the more I rode the better I got.  My fear of not being able to ride held me back more than my balance issues.  Good luck with your surgery and riding your motorcycle when the time is right!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 08:52:59 pm »
Thank you, Jill Marie and Greece Lover, for posting your experience with riding bicycles.  I have been very hesitant to get back on my bicycle, but you may have given me motivation to try it.
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 09:33:02 pm »
Let us know how it works out for you!   :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Greece Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 08:49:33 am »
take is slow at first, Don!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.