Author Topic: Waiting for Diagnosis  (Read 811 times)

ktulsky

Waiting for Diagnosis
« on: December 29, 2023, 12:56:24 pm »
I am new and nervous while awaiting a diagnosis. Two years ago, both ears were the same and near normal. A week ago the audiologist found that the left ear was unchanged but the right ear had a trough-shaped curve with moderate loss in the mid ranges. I have constant tinnitus but don't know when it began. They won't schedule MRI until after appointment with ENT Physician Assistant. Any thoughts on the likelihood that it is AN?

Greece Lover

Re: Waiting for Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 03:08:50 pm »
It's understandable to be nervous.  The ENT will probably review the hearing test with you and do some more tests with tuning forks around your ears and on your head to see where/how if they can isolate the hearing loss to conductive or nerve based.  Even then, the likelihood of an AN is low.  Only the MRI can know for sure and the ENT doc will help you navigate that.  I wish you peace and best of luck.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 06:15:39 pm »
Greece Lover makes great comments (as usual).  It's easy for me to say to you, "Don't be nervous; there's a good possibility that it's not an acoustic neuroma, and then you have worried about it for nothing."  But I think we all have been anxious while waiting for our diagnosis.  But, as Greece Lover stated, the only way to really know if you have an acoustic neuroma is by the MRI.  You cannot tell merely by the symptoms.  Some people have the symptoms of an acoustic neuroma, but when they have the MRI, it reveals they do not have an acoustic neuroma.

But, if your MRI does reveal you have an acoustic neuroma, we are here for you, ktulsky!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

ktulsky

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 08:56:53 am »
Thanks for the replies. I know I just need to wait while I experience every (probably phantom) symptom under the sun.

Happy and Healthy New Year wishes to all.