Author Topic: Hearing aid recommendation sought  (Read 749 times)

ANviolist

Hearing aid recommendation sought
« on: November 17, 2023, 10:39:11 pm »
Hello, I have partial hearing loss from an AN. In that ear, the loss is severe starting a bit over 1200 Hz. While things on that side sound muddled, there’s definitely some usable hearing left.  I tried one hearing aid at an audiologist’s office that just sounded like gibberish, and briefly tried Eargo 6es. I’d love to find a single-ear device that can boost the missing frequencies to even a moderate loss level. I would like to be able to tweak the eq and gain level on the device myself, so as to understand the effect as I get used to it. Does anyone have a suggestion of what to try?

donjehle

Re: Hearing aid recommendation sought
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:54:30 pm »
I wish you the best in find the best hearing aid for you, ANviolist!  It seems to me to be more challenging than it should be.  It seems like certain audiologists only carry certain brands that they favor (and maybe push).  I remember asking an audiologist about a certain brand I was considering, and she said, "I'm sorry but we only carry the two brands we think are best."  I have since learned that different brands and certain options are best depending upon the patient's needs and concerns.  So, I would not recommend the ones that are working for me because they might not work best for you and your needs.

Most of the major brands that have apps which let you adjust the eq and gain level to your liking.  However, much of the adjustments should be made by the audiologist so that it does not sound like gibberish to you.  It may be that the Eargo is not the best option for you (or that it was not adjusted properly).  I wish I could give you an easy answer, but my experience has been the most important factor is the experience of the audiologist and a wide option of brands so that the audiologist can find one that best meets your needs.

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

stevehernes

Re: Hearing aid recommendation sought
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 01:36:54 am »
Some hearing aid providers offer customizable solutions tailored to your specific hearing profile.
Discuss your preferences and needs with the audiologist to find a device that can be fine-tuned to match your unique hearing requirements. I had a very good experience with the hearing aids staten island, maybe that is something worth checking out?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:10:56 pm by stevehernes »