Author Topic: Would a hearing aid help?  (Read 1514 times)

Carolgre

Would a hearing aid help?
« on: October 01, 2022, 11:02:18 am »
I had radiation treatment for a meningioma back in 2018, which hopefully caused shrinkage of the tumor. I still have hearing loss in my right ear which, I was told, was due to the tumor pressing on the acoustic nerve. I was wondering if a hearing aid would help with my bad ear because I would still have that nerve blockage even with the hearing aid.

donjehle

Re: Would a hearing aid help?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 01:32:06 pm »
I doubt that anyone on the forum could tell you, Carolgre, if a hearing aid could help you.  You probably need to consult with an audiologist who would need to test your hearing.

My audiologist (after testing) told me that a hearing aid would not help my hearing because it was too far gone.  I am essentially deaf in my acoustic neuroma ear, and, as she explained to me, amplification of sound in my ear from a hearing aid would not help me because I couldn't hear it anyway.  Instead, she recommended a CROS system which picks up sounds on my bad ear side and sends them to a receiver in my good ear (which looks like a hearing aid).  Now, I hear everything from my left side in my right ear.

But only your audiologist could tell you whether a hearing aid would help your hearing.   It all depends on how bad your hearing is in your bad ear.

I hope that helps!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Carolgre

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:54:36 am »
Thanks for your reply, Don. At some point, I will probably consult with an audiologist. The hearing in my bad ear (right) isn't completely gone but sound is muffled and I have trouble making out individual words. It's like someone is speaking down a long tunnel.

chefcrsh

• Welcome
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 01:34:09 pm »
I believe the above is correct. I bought a Cros system early this year. One of the surprises was that it successfully fools me into “hearing” from my deficit side. They use some pretty fancy programming to send the signals into the good ear and apparently delayed or altered in such a way that my reflex brain knows the sound is from over there.
8mm tumor diagnosed VS 7/2019.
Rescanned at 9mm 12/2019 T1 Hyperintense. Rescanned 6/2020 with fat suppression new diagnosis Lipochoristoma 9mm.
On W&W indefinitely.