Author Topic: Newbie without diagnosis...yet  (Read 169 times)

DRMFFEB26#

Newbie without diagnosis...yet
« on: April 08, 2024, 04:10:35 pm »
I have tried to search existing messages but have not seen any previous answers so here goes. Mid-January 2024, after swimming, right ear would not unplug, white noise started, and reduced hearing. ENT hearing test confirmed reduction of hearing. I underwent right inner ear steroid perfusion #1 & #2 within the same week. This caused me to become very hyper - which I warned ENT about since I am bipolar. I delayed 3rd shot for another 3 weeks. Since there has been no improvement in hearing since the shots, ENT suggested contrast MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma. I told ENT I had a very bad reaction to Prohance contrast dye 16 hours after a 2023 contrast MRI  - hives on face and neck and red rash over whole body that took a week to recover from with anti-itch meds. Because of this, the contrast MRI must be done at the hospital (not outpatient) with the following pre-treatment: 50 MG Prednisone 13 hours before MRI, another 50 MG Prednisone 7 hours before, and another 50 MG Prednisone 1 hour before, plus 50 MG Benadryl 1 hour before MRI. I told ENT this would send me into a Bipolar episode. I did talk to my psychiatrist who prescribed 2 drugs to counteract the Prednisone high that I would need to take daily a week before and a week after and another drug 3 hours before MRI. I decided to wait for 3 months before deciding to have contrast MRI to see if my hearing improves. So, my questions are: 1) has anyone required the same pretreatment with prednisone to prevent reaction from Prohance?  and 2) where is the contrast dye Prohance injected? in the ear? how long does it take to recover from MRI before they let you get up and go? I can't get any answers. Thank you and very glad to find this group.

Greece Lover

Re: Newbie without diagnosis...yet
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 11:05:49 am »
They put the contrast dye into your arm, sort of like drawing blood. 
there's no recovery from the MRI. you're just done and leave. (at least that was my experience.)
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Angela330

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 12:04:00 pm »
 I just had my 7th MRI.  They last about an hour without & with contrast. They will put an IV in your arm.  First part will be without contrast & 1/2 way thru they will pull you out & put the contrast in your IV.   They will put headphone on & let you listen to music.  The machine will bang around a lot.  After it's done they will remove the IV & you are free to go.  I usually have the MRI that same day as I see my Dr.  I think the hardest part is the not knowing the results  I wish you the best.  I understand how scary all this can be. 
4.3 cm Vestibular Schwannoma left side
Dry Mouth main symptom and then Balance issues & suffered from Hydrocephalus (No hearing loss before)
Retrosigmoid Surgery at Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO -2019
After: SSD, MRIs to monitor small residual tumor, some facial paralysis, No Balance Issues

DanFouratt

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 03:04:28 pm »
I cannot speak about your issues.  For me the MRI is done, hour at most, with contrast.  I then get in the car and drive 5 miles down to road to the doctor's office and we review them.  I am not affected at all from the MRI.
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled