Author Topic: Severe nausea 6 weeks post-op, anyone else?  (Read 795 times)

schomiczewski

Severe nausea 6 weeks post-op, anyone else?
« on: December 21, 2022, 06:22:39 pm »
Hello, I am now six weeks out from my emergency CSF leak surgery and seven weeks out from my original retro surgery to remove a 2.7 cm acoustic neuroma. I did not have balance issues before the surgery and I do not have them now. I have some facial paralysis but I can tell that it’s getting better. I still do not produce tears in my eye. I definitely have some type of altered taste. But the one symptom I have not read other people having, and my neurosurgeon says he doesn’t know what is causing it, is nausea. Like I have constant morning sickness, and I don’t want to eat anything. I have been admitted to the ER twice, once on November 14 and once on December 9 for dehydration and nausea. I can keep foods down, but I essentially force feed myself. I am wondering if anyone else has had this symptom, and if anyone was able to diagnose what it is.? I’ve had a lot of suggestions, I have taken five different anti-nausea medicines, including zolfran, colpazine (so?), scolpamine patch, reglan and phenegren.  I am on Ativan before bed. I have tried alternative things, including but not limited to Acupuncture. I’m not sure if it’s anxiety related, so I am also seeing a counselor and talking about the potential that there’s some ptsd. But regardless nothing, literally nothing helps. Well, that said, the only thing that helps is deep breathing techniques, but they only help for the moment, and I just can’t sit around and breathe deep all day. I’d appreciate any experience anyone has with this post AN-surgery specifically.

Btw, Other than the nausea, for those looking for a positive outcome of surgery, so far mine has been very positive.

Thank you.

Jordybutt

Re: Severe nausea 6 weeks post-op, anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 07:46:03 am »
Hi there,

I wish I had answers for nausea prevention but I just thought regarding food intake, can you try the high calorie shakes intended for those who have restricted intake? I have those when I can’t eat, it’s at least an attempt to get some nutrients and calories to keep your systems running… one less thing on top of the other problems you’re dealing with.

Jordy x
Diagnosed 3cm AN Right Side 31/10/2022
Retrosigmoid Approach 04/01/2023
13% Remaining

schomiczewski

Re: Severe nausea 6 weeks post-op, anyone else?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 10:48:29 am »
Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I have those and I make my own smoothies. Today someone suggested trying digestive enzymes because maybe by not producing saliva I’m not producing heart enzymes. I have a messed up stomach.