Author Topic: Questions about symptoms a month after Gamma Knife  (Read 1036 times)

UkulelesAreAwesome

Questions about symptoms a month after Gamma Knife
« on: September 17, 2022, 01:10:17 pm »
I was diagnosed with a 1.5 cm acoustic neuroma in April of this year.  I decided to have gamma knife radiation.  In August I had the gamma knife procedure.  All went well.  There were no problems.  The attachment of the headframe is painful, but it was quick.

About three weeks after the procedure, I noticed I had a headache, dizziness, and feelings of pain and pressure in my head and neck.  The AN is very close to my brainstem.  I treated the symptoms with advil or tylenol.  I did not have a temperature and also took two covid tests which were negative.  I am unsure what caused these symptoms or if they will return. 

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience after gamma knife. 

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Questions about symptoms a month after Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 09:51:11 am »
Congratulations on making it to the other side of treatment....I didn't have GK or CK, but I've read other threads here that talked about symptoms similar to yours.

Dizziness and headache are pretty common. Did you speak with your treating physician about that? They will let you know when it's time for additional intervention, but will also have hints on treating those symptoms. I hope you have received your pamphlets from ANA about radiation treatment, which will also answer a lot of your questions.

Wishing you the best!

Marla B.
Forum Admin

Dlip246

Re: Questions about symptoms a month after Gamma Knife
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 01:12:25 pm »
Hello, UkulelesAreAwesome,

I didn't have GK but instead CK.  I didn't have any symptoms after the procedure until about 3 months later when I started with the "light-headiness" or almost Dizziness.  I took ginger and sometimes light dose of diazepam for relief which seemed to work.  Hopefully those are the only side affects you will encounter.  Best wishes!
1.4 x .83 x 6 cm (14 x 8.3 x 6 mm).  watched slowly grow for 2 years then CK January 2022.  3 months post CK hazy head, 6 months post CK now having hemifacial spams same side. Spasms haven't stopped almost one year after they started :(