Author Topic: Single side deaf and cochlar implant for good ear  (Read 1575 times)

Dave_S121

Single side deaf and cochlar implant for good ear
« on: September 08, 2022, 06:29:09 pm »
I lost the hearing in my right in October 2004.  I had a 2.2cm acoustic neuroma removed using the Translabyrinthine Approach by Dr. Richard Wiet in Hinsdale Hospital.  At the time of the surgery Dr. Wiet placed a BAHA post in the lower right part of my skull.  Since the surgery the hearing in my left ear has been getting worse.  I've been wearing a hearing aid in my left ear since about 2006.  About 7 years ago I stopped wearing my BAHA and switched to a CROSS hearing aid in my right ear.  Recent audiology tests have shown decrease in my word recognition skill and further high frequency hearing loss.  My ENT'S physician assistant said that if the hearing loss continued they would refer me to their cochlar implant team for an evaulation.  I would be interested knowing of anyone's experience with single sided deafness and a choclar implant in their "good" ear.  Thank you in advance for any responses. 
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

donjehle

Re: Single side deaf and cochlar implant for good ear
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 05:02:08 pm »
Hi Dave_S121, and thank you for sharing your experience on the forums!

I am not familiar with Dr. Wiet, but I am a tiny bit familiar with the Hindsdale Hospital.  I met a woman who worked at Hinsdale Hospital back in the early 1980's, and we ended up getting married.  So, Hinsdale Hospital will always have a special place in my heart!  I'm not familiar with its experience with acoustic neuromas though.

I'm curious why you stopped wearing your BAHA several years ago.  Did you sense that it was not working quite as well?  Why did you switch to the CROS hearing aid?  I wear a CROS system, and it is meeting my needs at the present time so I am not currently considering a cochlar implant.  But I am very interested in hearing how your future goes.  Please continue to let us know what you decide to do and how well it works for you.  I have been told that the technology continues to improve each year, and so, some who have tried one option several years ago can even benefit from the very same thing done today with the newest improvements and features.

I hope it goes well for you.
Wishing you the very best!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Dave_S121

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 07:53:17 am »
Don,

I glad to hear you have fond memories of Hinsdale Hosptial.  While my memories may not be as fond, Hinsdale Hospital provided excellent care during my stay to remove my tumor.

When I had my tumor removed from my right ear in 2004 I did not need a hearing aid for my left ear.  A BAHA post was implanted and I started wearing one in early 2005.  In 2008 I upgraded to a Divino BAHA.  I did notice a positive difference when wearing a BAHA.  Around this same time I started using a hearing aid in my left ear.  My one complaint with the BAHA I was using was it didn't do a good job filtering out background noise.  About 2014 I replaced my hearing aid with a Phonak one and switched to a CROSS hearing aid for my right ear.  The Phonak CROSS hearing aid in my right ear did a much better job of filtering out background noise.  Since my BAHA was 6 year old I sure technology had improved, but liked the CROSS system.  Since the hearing in my left ear has been getting worse over time and a cochlar implant may be an option in the future I may switch back to a BAHA.  Time will tell. 
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 07:42:44 pm »
Please keep us posted, Dave, in whatever you decide to do and how it works for you.  I have a good friend who swears that having the cochlar implant was the best thing he ever did.  He wore hearing aids back in school, ever since I have known him.  So, when he recommends the cochlar implant, I take that recommendation very seriously.  And I want to hear whatever you decide in the future!

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.