Author Topic: HELP - Gamma Knife "failure" - anyone who is willing to share?  (Read 873 times)

bfoley

HELP - Gamma Knife "failure" - anyone who is willing to share?
« on: November 03, 2022, 04:18:09 am »
Went to my 3rd annual post Gamma MRI yesterday.  MRI results are not what I was expecting.  I am in total shock.

The Doctor was in surgery and not available. My meeting was with the Physicians Assistant.  They will be calling me today to discuss options.

She stated that if Gamma is an option, with the failure of the first (which is only 10% failure rate), the success rate of a second procedure is only 75%.

Again - I am in total disbelief.  Anyone willing to share their experience would be appreciated.

Going to post this under radiation as well - sorry for the duplicate post!

donjehle

Re: HELP - Gamma Knife "failure" - anyone who is willing to share?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 01:39:15 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this, bfoley!  That is not what I expected for you either!

Like you, I have heard that there is a small percentage of failures with Gamma Knife, but no matter how small, that is no consolation for those who experience a GK failure.  And I have heard that the failure of a second GK procedure is much greater than the first one which failed.  However, I am not a physician, and I cannot confirm that.

All I can do is grieve with you over this!

Please give us an update on what you decide to do.

Best wishes!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bfoley

Re: HELP - Gamma Knife "failure" - anyone who is willing to share?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 09:59:24 am »
Thanks donjehle-

I posted under my other (duplicate radiosurgery) post. Got the call from Mayo - there is no second gamma option.  After reviewing all MRIs and my case, surgery is the only option.  I will be speaking to the surgeon this coming Friday, so I am scouring the boards looking for what questions I should be asking. 

You are definitely in the right line of work, as hospital chaplain.  I hope that I get someone as nice as you to visit with me.