Author Topic: What is a Lumbar Stent?  (Read 7967 times)

danaej

What is a Lumbar Stent?
« on: December 07, 2006, 08:25:09 pm »
It looks like I am going to have a Lumbar stent to fix a cerebrial leak. I had my AN surgery June 7th of this year.My leak is contained in my head. It is a big bubble over my ear and the pressure causes very bad headaches every day.I thought maybe the Dr. could just fix the hole.  I have tried to ask my Dr. but he is never available. Can anyone tell me what it is and how long I will have to be in the hospital? I have to have it done this year. And I am totally in the dark. Thank you , Dana

jerseygirl

Re: What is a Lumbar Stent?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 09:22:25 pm »
Hi,

From what I understand, you need a Lumbar-Peritoneal Shunt. I had one put in 18 years ago after my first surgery and it is still there. Lasted me through 2 pregnancies, 2  C-sections, yoga, Pilates, etc. It drains spinal fluid from spine (lumbar area) to the stomach (peritoneum). I was told it is the simplest kind of shunt, given for the least serious kinds of CSF circulation problems. Mine has a valve underneath the skin that can be adjusted to make the flow lighter or heavier but it never needed to. It is a thin Gortex tube that goes underneath the skin from your back and into your navel. The valve is on the side. There are two tiny incision: a dot on the back and 1/2 inch on the side. I don't feel it anymore, and it has never been a problem, either functionally or cosmetically. Good luck!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

danaej

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 06:30:37 am »
Thank you Eve, My operation is the 19th of Dec. I am still in the dark other than your reply. I was told that when I had my pre-op I would be told. When I had the pre-op I was told that the Dr. should have told me. Of course it is the weekend and everyone is having parties and such so I won't know a thing untill the day before my surgery. Can you tell me how long you were in the hospital? I know it is probably differant for differant people, but if I have some idea I will feel better. Do you still have your shunt in because your leak didn't stop? I just have so many questions! questions! questions!...I was wondering why not just fix the hole?!....Anyway, Thank you for your reply....Dana

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:18:32 am »
Hi,

My guess is that they will probably keep you in the hospital overnight since it is under general anesthesia. It is a short surgery and no big deal. I had to have it because I had a pouch of liquid collecting under my incision ( suboccipital) and 9-day drain did not help. I kept coming back to the hospital with fevers and headaches but was able to heal after the shunt was installed. It never gave me problems: I had countless MRI's, 2 pregnancies with 2 C-sections, lots of exercise, etc. The scars dissolved by now since they did it  the plastic surgery way.  :D I do not think it is routine since I was young at that time and my main concern was whether or not I can wear bikini afterwards. Ask for your scar to finished "nicely". There is very little pain after surgery and whatever it is can be easily relieved by meds. I was explained that it is the simplest, easiest and most trouble free shunt you can have.  Good luck!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

danaej

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:24:02 pm »
Thank you Eve, You have made me feel much better. Hopefully my Dr. will call me tomorrow before I check into the hospital but I feel more at ease with your reply. I hope you have a Merry Christmas! When I get back home I will let you know how it went. Thank you again ....Dana

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:51:16 pm »
Dana,

Hope everything goes well! I also forgot to mention that usually there is no intubation or urinary catheter involved in this surgery since it is so short. That's a good thing! Who needs those? Keep me posted.

Eve