Author Topic: Eustachian tube muffled hearing in good ear  (Read 260 times)

jaynereiter

Eustachian tube muffled hearing in good ear
« on: March 06, 2024, 01:08:23 pm »
I am 4 weeks out form Translab in right ear, all went well no issues.
Three days ago my left ear has a crackle sound and now the hearing is muffled in the good ear.  Audiologist found no wax and suggested I see ENT.

Have any of you experienced this?
Jayne
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 02:20:50 pm by jaynereiter »

carriekartman

Re: Eustachian tube muffled hearing in good ear
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 11:29:43 am »
Well, I didn't have surgery, (just completed SRS) but have experienced muffled hearing on the "good" side since long before they diagnosed my AN. I have been given no adequate answer for it from the professionals, and hope to learn from this group.

skier

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 03:39:16 pm »
I had a successful translab surgery about 4 months ago.

About 2 or 3 weeks later, I had "funny" muffled hearing in my good ear. It was like there was distortion to the sounds, with familiar voices sounding "funny". And hearing was poorer, overall.

Then it cleared up, in a few days, (as best I recall) and my good ear went back to being my good ear, and has stayed that way.

I never asked any MD about it. I did read that it was likely caused by the water used in the surgery getting into the sinus cavity and that it wasn't terribly unusual and would clear up. (I am sorry that I don't have a reference, but I think I read it on this forum.)

If I were to do it again, I would ask my surgeon's team for advice and reassurance immediately.

Hope it clears up for you just as easily as it did for me.

Best,
Skier

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 04:49:07 pm »
I had a bad case of Covid last December which led to tons of fluid in my ears and lots of hearing loss.  Over the course of the last two months, it has mostly gone back to normal, thank God.

Regarding your surgery, I didn't have fluid in my ears, but my doctor told me that during surgery they squirt around a LOT OF WATER.  I don't know how that would end up in your good ear, but I could hear a dripping/ticking sound in my head for weeks after surgery and my doc told me it was because of all the water they use to keep the bone from heating up when drilling.   ::)
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.