Author Topic: Hearing protection after diagnosis—pl share inputs  (Read 3194 times)

Autumnbird

Hearing protection after diagnosis—pl share inputs
« on: October 15, 2021, 01:08:32 pm »
Hello! I’d be grateful for your experiences and ideas on preserving hearing after diagnosis of AN. I have lost hearing severely in left ear due to AN and will be undergoing translab approach surgery in November. For those of you with similar diagnosis, what steps do you take on a daily basis to protect hearing in the “good ear”. I have heard about avoiding ototoxic drugs and wearing ear plugs. Is there anything else one can do? Thanks
47 yr female
Progressive hearing loss, tinnitus since 2017
AN diagnosis left ear September 2021
1.5 cm width x 2.5 cm length
Translab November 2021
@ Univ of Iowa (Dr Marlan Hansen)
SSD, facial nerve preserved
Recovery slow but steady

alabamajane

Re: Hearing protection after diagnosis—pl share inputs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 07:52:40 am »
Hi,, I don’t really have any other suggestions I guess. Ear plugs have become my best friend in the last 10 years since my translab surgery. I have them everywhere now.

But I did want to mention the importance of using ear plugs when using a hair dryer. I never gave it any thought until my AN diagnosis and surgery. It was suggested to me,, and really anyone,, and makes perfect sense. Those things are really loud right up against your ears!

Good luck to you.
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

gary.s

Re: Hearing protection after diagnosis—pl share inputs
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 04:25:49 pm »
Hi Autumnbird,

I use ear protection when using power tools, the vacuum cleaner, leaf blower, and even the coffee grinder. I also have single sided deafness as a result of my AN, so protecting the good ear is very important. I avoid movie theaters because they are extremely loud, as well as live music. Lots of adjustments to make, but they are all very manageable. Some high quality hearing protection would be a good thing to have at the home. Best of luck on your surgery next month.

Gary
Mild symptoms on right side July 2014
CK April 16-20, 2018, Barrow Neurological Institute
9/2018 hearing aid Phonak Audeo B and Cros B