Author Topic: Here's to Improving!- 2.5 Weeks Post Op  (Read 1564 times)

chigal113

Here's to Improving!- 2.5 Weeks Post Op
« on: August 05, 2022, 08:43:07 pm »
Wow, it feels like this is the first moment I've taken to sit and let myself think about the whirlwind that the last couple months have been...

I started noticing some hearing loss in the last 8 months or so, but it wasn't until my MRI in June that life really sped up for me. The MRI came back as a 3.6 cm acoustic neuroma and shortly after I was referred to Dr. Micco at Northwestern in Chicago. For my mental well-being, I wasted no time in scheduling my surgery at Northwestern with Dr. Chandler and Dr. Micco in July.

While I can hands down say that this summer has been the scariest of my life (as a 26 year old), I am happy to be through the worst of it.

My suboccipital surgery went about as well as it could have thanks to my two amazing doctors! While I most likely have lost all hearing in my right ear, I came out of surgery with no visible facial paralysis and all of the tumor removed. The hardest part is dealing with the lack of independence and body mobility as I still can't drive or lift over 10 pounds. I'm trying to stay positive, but it can be hard just with thinking about how quickly my life was turned upside down this summer. Actually, I take that back- the hardest part is not being able to style my hair yet since my naturally curly hair is unruly without my strict product regiment. When can I get back to doing this??

Even though this whole experience has been incredibly hard and I'm sure the road ahead will be too without hearing in my right ear, I feel very blessed. I am lucky this tumor is benign. I'm lucky to have my parents selflessly taking care of me. I'm lucky to have my loving boyfriend and friends spend time with me when I've been at my lowest here. And boy am I so lucky to have a typically healthy body that I sure won't take for granted after I'm through this recovery process.

donjehle

Re: Here's to Improving!- 2.5 Weeks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 12:02:16 pm »
Welcome to the ANA Forums, chigal113!

And thank you for making your first post here and for sharing your experience.  There is no telling how many other people will read your post and gain courage from it.

Most of us on these forums know a little something about the whirlwind you described.  It is alarming enough for us to lose some hearing, but then when we are told that we have a brain tumor! I don't think any of us are prepared to hear that news.  But you are fortunate to have had good doctors and are through the worst of it.  It is wonderful that they were able to remove all of the tumor without any facial paralysis.  Some are not so fortunate.  Now, for you, it's just the recovery (which is not easy, but you can have a lot of hope for your future).

I can't tell you about how long it will take you to style your hair again because I am a bald guy, but you can be glad knowing that you will be able to do it again soon!

It is great that you have a great support system!  Not everyone does.  And that is one of the reasons why the ANA Forums are here.  If you ever need to chat with someone who has gone through something similar, we are here for you!  And I know that sharing your experience is going to benefit someone else who is going through this same journey.

I wish you well on your recovery!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

gbly

Re: Here's to Improving!- 2.5 Weeks Post Op
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 11:59:07 am »
chigal113
Welcome.  Concur with donjehle, you are in the right place.  We are all similar but everyone's journey is just a little different and your experience will be helpful to all. 
You already have made it through the hard part and don't get frustrated.  I will tell you your independence will be back in no time, and you have your looks still.  I know that sounds shallow, but trust me be thankful!  You got this and keep us posted.