Author Topic: Facial Nerve Involvement  (Read 4168 times)

Isla247

Facial Nerve Involvement
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:12:59 am »
Hi everyone,

I was told last MRI that I have facial nerve involvement with my small AN. They aren't sure whether it is growing from the facial nerve or just attached to the facial nerve. I am wondering what - if any - symptoms people have had with their facial nerve being involved? The tumour I have is small (7-8mm) and it is growing - although at a fairly average rate (around 2mm every 6 months). I was talking to a friend a week ago and mid-conversation she stopped me and said that my left eye had drooped. By the time I arrived home, my eye looked normal but I thought I had better tell the doctor. I rang up today to find out what he thought and was told it had nothing to do with the tumour. I am so confused - yet again!

I would love to hear of other peoples experiences please.

Cheers

jami

Re: Facial Nerve Involvement
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:00:04 pm »
Hi Isla247,

NO medical qualifications here... all I can say is that my care team (Neurosurgeon + Otolaryngologist + Oncologist) asked me to contact them if i have facial movement issues.

Others may have more to offer here.

Jami
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

Greece Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 01:54:57 pm »
I also, am NOT a doctor. But my understanding is that, especially with a small tumor, the complication would come with treatment. It may not impact you for a while right now, but it would make surgery, for example, more complicated. Often the facial nerve receives trauma from during surgery. Mine did, and I had face paralyzed for a few weeks, but it all pretty much came back.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Blw

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 07:14:31 pm »
That is your first clue that is facial nerve involvement--eye drooping. That nerve covers half your face so worse case--if it were cut, you have eyelid problems, mouth problems, tongue problems, swallowing. I believe can test for that nerve pretty easily--forgot the name of it. In any event, I would almost certainly avoid surgery and use radiation. If that nerve gets cut, you need a graft.