Author Topic: clicking in ear  (Read 2297 times)

sandysage

clicking in ear
« on: August 07, 2021, 10:49:14 am »
Hello,

I am new to this forum and this tumor.

I went to the doctor thinking I had a sinus infection last week and now I have an MRI scheduled on Monday to see if I have an AN. It's all going so fast.  It seems like I have all of the classic symptoms.

But I also have occasional clicking in my bad ear.  Does anyone else experience this?  It comes and goes.

Thanks!

CA Marti

Re: clicking in ear
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 09:01:23 pm »
Hi sandysage,

I have not experienced a clicking but have experienced an arythmic tone, like morse code in my AN affected ear which is always there but varies in volume. I have spoken to a neurootologist who specializes in tinnitus and he thought I had stapedial myoclonus, a type of middle ear myoclonus. Yours sounds like it could be a middle myoclonus as well but from the tympani syndrome. Weirdly, I did experience the clicking too but only for one or two nights when I couldn’t sleep and was very stressed. I heard it’s also called typewriter tinnitus. If it’s just the clicking sound, I wouldn’t say that symptom alone means that it’s an acoustic neuroma, as there are other causes for this. What are your other symptoms? It’s good you’re getting an MRI, and you’ll know for sure from that if you have one or not, given that you’re getting one with contrast. I hope it turns out that you don’t have one.
Best wishes,
CA Marti
Marti

Diagnosed 5/28/2021 10.5mmX8.5mmX6mm
Next MRI   11/22/2021 10mmX8mmX6mm
MRI           12/9/2022   5mmX6mmX7mm

sandysage

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 08:37:17 am »
Hi Marti,

Thanks for writing back.  Thank you for that information as well about the clicking in my ear. I am happy to hear it may be something other than an AN.

I had a bout of the room swaying and then realized I had lost hearing in my right ear, I am experiencing loud tinnitus and lots of pressure in my ear. I am currently tapering off steroids which helped a bit.  I had a hearing test and the graph looks just like the classic one for an AN. So I'm am off to get the MRI tomorrow to find out if that is what it is. 

Thanks again for the information. 

CA Marti

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 07:23:14 pm »
Hi Sandysage,

Those do sound like the classic AN symptoms from what I’ve heard. Try to hang in there, and if it is an AN know that many don’t grow, and if it’s small most people advise to watch and wait for six months, so you do have time to process everything and do research.

CA Marti
Marti

Diagnosed 5/28/2021 10.5mmX8.5mmX6mm
Next MRI   11/22/2021 10mmX8mmX6mm
MRI           12/9/2022   5mmX6mmX7mm

Greece Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 08:41:18 am »
Good luck. Let us know what the MRI shows.  I don't have clicking, but some sounds are definitely distorted and sound weird. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.