Author Topic: Baha and MRIs  (Read 3503 times)

AN_Info

Baha and MRIs
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:19:30 pm »
I am post surgery for a partially resected acoustic neuroma. I will need yearly MRIs and likely follow up radiation if/when the partially resected tumor starts to grow.
My head and neck surgeon told me that I was not a candidate for a Baha because while it is safe to do an MRI with a Baha in place, the Baha causes artifacts (a blacked out semi-circle surrounding the device) on the scan. This will render the MRI image of the tumor unreadable.
He showed me a supposed image of an MRI with Baha in place and the resulting blacked out semi-circle on the MRI image.

This doesn't make sense to me. Tons of ANA patients get Bahas!

Questions:

1. If you have a Baha, are you post surgery/post radiation and no longer in need of MRIs for monitoring?
2. If you have a Baha implant in place, have a tumor/partially resected tumor on the same side as the Baha, and have done an MRI: have you seen the MRI image? Is the tumor visible? Or is there a semi circle around the Baha that is blacked out and therefore blocks the tumor image?
3. If there really is a blacked out image on the scan, what is the radius of the semi-circle?
Thank you!

alabamajane

Re: Baha and MRIs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:50 am »
Morning and welcome,,

I had AN translab surgery 11 years  ago. I had a total resection so I can’t answer number 2.

I got my BAHA implanted in 2014. I had annual MRIs for the first 6 yrs and now I have one every 5 yrs. I was never told about the issue you mention. There has been no concern voiced. I received a card with my BAHA that tells the tech how to set the machine settings. I have been shown the MRIs and noted nothing unusual shows up.

I hope someone will respond and address your specific concerns,, just wanted to share my experiences.
Good luck,, maybe you could get a second opinion from another experienced ENT,,,

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Baha and MRIs
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 08:45:37 am »
TOTALLY FALSE INFORMATION. 

I had my AN surgery in 2007 and had my BAHA implant in 2008.
I am a Cochlear volunteer - and have been for many years. 
I have had multiple MRI's without any issues. 
There has NEVER been a problem.
It's important to tell the MRI tech that you have a BAHA implant, so he/she is aware of it, but that's it.

Note that these days there are two different options for BAHA implants.  One involves using a magnet - like with a CI (cochlear implant) - which would be an issue if you need an MRI.  You would need to opt for the BAHA implant that has the titanium rod implanted into the skull (which is the implant I have).

BAHAs are totally amazing.  Don't hesitate to get one. 
People who tell you they're a bad idea, or spread myths like the ones you were told, don't know what they're talking about.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways