Author Topic: Left ear hearing loss since 13 years of age  (Read 5384 times)

txram

Left ear hearing loss since 13 years of age
« on: May 24, 2020, 08:23:28 pm »
Hello,
I lost my hearing gradually and by age 14 or 15 I completely lost hearing in the left ear.   It was adolescence and I couldnt focus much on the important things. I barely scraped through school and college and struggle at every job I have. I can simply sit for days doing nothing, except of course eating and sleeping. Even easy tasks seem to be difficult for me. Now nearing 40 , I am not sure what I will do.  I try to motivate myself, force me to change by adopting healthy habits, but I fall back to the regular routine.

I consulted a doctor and got scheduled for a BAHA or Coclear ( which sends sound waves to the healthy ear from the unhealthy ear?).  But me being me, i never went and attended them.

I would like to know what are my options.  I can manage with one ear, but I am more concerned about my lifestyle than my hearing. Should I seek hearing aids or consult a psyiciatrist??

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Left ear hearing loss since 13 years of age
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:18:16 am »
Hi txram,

It sounds like you have struggled for a very long time.  Some questions:  Do you know what caused your hearing loss?  Have you had regular MRIs?

Being SSD (single side deaf) presents many issues that can have an effect on one's total emotional well-being so it is important to follow-up with your doctors.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

txram

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:57:08 am »
Thanks Clarice. I dont know why it failed but can think of two possible resaons.
I have had penicillin a couple of times when i was 6 or 7 to brinf down high fever. Or my brother would have slapped me hard on my ear.

I m just wondering if the lifestyle is due to war problem or just my attitude.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 08:56:51 am »
I'm not a doctor, but I believe that you would be an excellent candidate for a BAHA.
BAHA's are amazing.  I've had mine since 2008.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways