Author Topic: Dizzy and nauseous ...need help!  (Read 2269 times)

Anthony84

Dizzy and nauseous ...need help!
« on: December 08, 2020, 04:55:53 pm »
I have been diagnosed with a 2.7 cm an. I am 36 years old. I have surgery for complete removal scheduled for mid January at Johns Hopkins hospital. I have been dealing with some really bad dizziness and nausea. I’ve reached the point where I no longer feel comfortable driving. Does anyone have any type of remedy to help with the dizziness? Any help is very much appreciated!

v357139

Re: Dizzy and nauseous ...need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 09:34:57 pm »
I have not heard of any remedy for this.  You may want to tell your surgeon about it, if you have not.  Perhaps he will move your surgery up?  Best of luck.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

bfoley

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 06:54:29 am »
Anthony84-

I am so sorry - I know the feeling, bit I have been able to drive as most of my recent nausea is with head / body movement.  I take ginger capsules daily.  There is scientific studies showing they help with dizziness.  One type of Dramamine has ginger as their active ingredient.  Maybe give this a try.  I have found them both at the pharmacy and the grocery store.

Link to one article -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/wellness/1989/02/28/how-ginger-fights-vertigo/be74a8d3-238c-49f5-b0d1-53b3981deb11/

Effect lasts about 4 hours.  I learned about it by digging through the discussion boards.  I take 500-550 mg capsules twice per day.  You may need to try different doses to see what helps.  Also, it prevents platelets from clumping, so if you have any clotting disorder or are on any meds, you should definitely check with your general physician before taking.

Wishing you success on your journey.  Feel better-

Anthony84

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 05:48:55 pm »
I did talk to my surgeon and they are trying to move my surgery up. Covid is complicating things a bit but hopefully they can work something out. I have been taking ginger capsules for about 5 days now. Still no relief but maybe they take a bit longer to show show signs of improvement. I will have to look into the Dramamine pills. Thanks for the advice!

Greece Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 12:54:13 pm »
You can also do vestibular therapy.  There are specials in the PT world just for this, and they give you exercises that help your brain.  Might be worth looking for such an expert.  Some might even have some past experience with ANs.

good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.