General Category > Hearing Issues

hearing aids

(1/3) > >>

Battyp:
Ok I'm in the process of dealing with VR and the audiologist and trying to make a decsion.  I know I must be bugging the heck out of boppie and nate.  Here's my delimma....the audiologist I have to work with (vr is paying so I have to go where they send me) does not work with transear.  I have been recommened for the cross.  I talked with the VR counsellor yesterday and the closest place that does transear is a 3 hour drive away (farther away than I can drive so good old mom's taxi will be having to take me).  I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra effort to push for the transear or if I should avoid the obstacles and accept the cross.  Both look good when you read about them.  I know cross has been around longer and transear is new.  Does anyone know if cross has a test band.  I was told from transear to use the test band for the baha.  Again, trying to make the best decision within my parameters.  I'm completely deaf in my left ear (an side) with lots of tinnitus, right ear hears perfect with tinnitus. 

Thanks gang for all your help!  (NO Joef, BAHA is not an option  LOL)

Joef:

who me?  :-X

matti:
Hi Michelle - I get my TransEar this Thursday (FINALLY!!!). There was a 3 week delay due to a shipping mishap and ordering a brown transfer unit instead of the usual tan. Tan is always in stock, they have order brown or black. I have brown hair so opted for that.

Rick Gilbert from TransEar has been EXTREMELY helpful whenever I had any problems or questions. Have you contacted him yet? He wil be out of town from Friday on, so best to e-mail him soon.

Since the Audiologist that offers TransEar is 3 hours away, just remember that you might have to go back a few times for software and fitting changes. Since your mom doesn't mind driving you, it shouldn't be a problem.   

You have a terrific mom ;D

When I get my TransEar Thursday (2:30 my time), I will call you later that night and give you my thoughts.

hugs,
Cheryl

Boppie:
I would say one is better off buying a hearing aid locally.  Adjustments are needed from time to time even after the initial setup of the instrument.  All mechanical things need adjustments and repairs.

It is too bad that TransEar has so little presence and so few doors open in the ENT community.  It is a fine answer for those who can't go for the BAHA.

The differences?  Cros is an air conduction wireless aid.  
TransEar is a bone conduction aid via transducer in an ear canal mold.  
BAHA (a bone conduction aid) requires small surgery to give a positive direct bone contact via a titanium post implant in the skull.

Boppie:
Batty, Having said that.  Matti can give you her good thoughts. 

Matti, email me if you have any middle of the evening questions about adjustment problems, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version