Author Topic: Retrosigmoid surgery and skull stiffness  (Read 2582 times)

RayDe

Retrosigmoid surgery and skull stiffness
« on: September 24, 2021, 10:40:40 am »
Hi    I had a 2cm AN tumor removed on 4/30/21   Retrosigmoid surgery.  Im in my 5th month of recovery. Starting at the 4 month mark I have needed pain killers daily and the skull stiffness and discomfort is worse. Also my disequilibrium has gone backwards as well. (my head feels really weird most of the time)  My bone flap has sunk in some. That worries me but I do believe that's pretty common.  The pain killers do help at this point. Only a couple times has the headache been real bad. (when I try not to take Tylenol/Advil)  Anyone else out there feel like this around this time of recovery??  Paranoid at times thinking something is wrong. Seeing my doctor next week.  Thanks Ray

RayDe

Re: Retrosigmoid surgery and skull stiffness
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 08:25:22 am »
Wow! 116 views and no feedback  ???

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:07:55 am »
Hello Ray,

I'm sorry no one responded to your question earlier. I only know that I don't always respond if I haven't had the EXACT same situation for the writer, as my frame of reference is different. While I didn't have your exact same pain, I DEFINITELY had your paranoia...please know that when you do what feels right to you, (in this case that's calling your doctor,) then you have done what's best.

For me, I did have minor discomfort, but changed my sleeping pillow situation (after a few failed attempts) and that helped my neck A Lot. That being said, what worked for me may not work for you. But it's worth a try....

Wishing you the best.

Marla B.

RayDe

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 09:50:07 am »
Thank You Marla     I have told the surgeon and have seen him twice. He always says that he believes its atrophy of the muscle. But its sunk in on one side about .25 of an inch. Its been real stiff since July   I want to believe him but maybe my impatience gets the best of me.  Appreciate your response  :)

Greece Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:43:16 am »
I didn't quite have this experience but I would say that the healing process takes quite a bit of time, and it took me months and months before I felt totally comfortable with my skull and its healing.  Trust your doc!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

bfoley

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 06:48:39 am »
Greetings RayDe!

I am one (or more) of the views.  I look at all new posts/replies almost daily.  However, I was Gamma Knife and therefore have nothing but empathy to offer!  Hope that makes you feel better about the views. 

Wishing you healing!

RayDe

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 12:52:45 pm »
Thank You Greece Lover and BFoley    Appreciate your responses.  I definitely underestimated recovery time.  Have a good weekend.