Author Topic: home remedies and diets for tumors  (Read 18399 times)

a.m.

• recording in mono.
home remedies and diets for tumors
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:59:42 pm »
i love a good home remedy, so wondering if you folks have ever tried any. there's quite a lot out of info out there for tumors in general, particularly cancer, but not specifically benign acoustic neuromas. i've come across the following:

flaxseed oil / cottage cheese (the budwig diet)

turmeric / black pepper

blackstrap molasses / baking soda

figs / milk

after reading up on nutrition i've switched to something resembling a mediterranean diet, less preservaties and less sugar. i am now an annoying dinner guest. not that my diet was bad before, but i figured it couldn't hurt!
diagnosed feb. 6, 2009

retrolab april 2, 2009
new york eye and ear / st vincent's
dr. linstrom and dr. murali
ssd, no tears

translab may 5, 2010
nyu medical center
dr. lalwani and dr. parker

doing great!

tenai98

Re: home remedies and diets for tumors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »
I like my chia seeds
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:40:05 pm »
Taking care of your health is certainly a good idea, so don't let me put you off that.

I think you will find that while cancer may respond  to certain diet changes, it will prove difficult to find anything that will affect benign tumors, especially an AN. An acoustic neuroma grows slowly, and appears for all intents and purposes to the body as normal tissue - your DNA, your cell surface proteins, your chemistry, etc. The best research so far suggests that one little regulatory mechanism is out of whack, leading to the continued growth of the cells that make up the tumor, but otherwise they are normal schwann cells. That means that anything that is good for you is good for your AN, and anything that would inhibit the AN will inhibit other healthy tissue as well.

I think your best bet is to get as healthy as you can, and avoid anything that makes the symptoms flare up. It is certainly possible to watch and wait and not have significant tumor growth for years, so it is worth trying. Best wishes!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:57:41 pm »
Being healthy is good, but if you're looking for a home remedy or herbal way to stop your AN from growing, it isn't going to happen.

Wish I could tell you it was.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:20 pm »
Hi, a.m.:

After hundreds of hours of research, I developed and tried a comprehensive holistic approach to treating my AN, which is detailed here: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5782.0

Unfortunately, my approach failed and my tumor continued to grow at 5x the normal rate. I subsequently received CyberKnife treatment in the summer of '08. I now use some of the herbs and supplements that failed me before getting CK and find they do help reduce my symptoms. They may have also been part of the reason why my tumor shrunk so dramatically after treatment (after first swelling from the radiation); there's no way to know for sure if this is the case. My half-formed conclusion, FWIW, is that natural remedies do not cure an AN but can be used as a helpful adjunct after receiving conventional western medicine.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »
After doing all the research I could on the topic for both myself with AN and my wife for a tumor in her stomach we have followed a regement which was posted be me in the W+W brigade section. I`m goin on 3 years stable and actually feeling a bit better then when first diognosed and my wifes tumor has actually shrunk with her doctor lost for words. I`m not braggin but just want to feel optomistic and hopefull. Who knows what the future may bring. If you want to see what we have done just to the posts in the W+W brigade section. Another fellow named Dereck has also had sucess there with AN. Best wishes, Mickey P.S. there are also a few other people who I have met and talked to personally who have had success with nothing other than a healthful researched plan.

a.m.

• recording in mono.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:45:50 pm »
excellent, glad i'm not the only crazy person! i'm not taking anything very interesting, just eating a lot of natural foods. and actually taking less supplements, although i take a bit of flaxseed oil. my neighborhood has turned out to be fantastic, there's quite a few vegetable stores, and even an organic thai restaurant. a couple of the guys i work with are vegetarian so that makes it easier. i've also been *resting* when i'm tired or sick... radical idea!

last year when i had surgery i was in poor health, i was very anxious about it and even got the flu right before going in. they found me to be anemic as well. so figure i'll try to be in good health the second time around! i've been spending more time cooking and less time inventing symptoms for myself to have ;)
diagnosed feb. 6, 2009

retrolab april 2, 2009
new york eye and ear / st vincent's
dr. linstrom and dr. murali
ssd, no tears

translab may 5, 2010
nyu medical center
dr. lalwani and dr. parker

doing great!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:41 am »
If you want to see what we have done just to the posts in the W+W brigade section. Another fellow named Dereck has also had sucess there with AN.

Mickey, I'm intrigued (and open-minded, despite my failed natural regimen). Could you please provide a link to the thread you posted about your program?

Thanks,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Mickey

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:37 am »
Hi Tumbleweed! Yes I`ve posted what my wife and myself are doing from about Xmas 2008 untill we both took our mri`s in Jun. and Aug. of last year and up to the present. I would suggest that if you want to know what I am exactly doing please get in touch with me by phone. I would be happy to talk to anyone interested and find this would be a better way to explain. Also on April 18th I`ll be on the panal at New Jersey ANA meeting with my Neuromonics machine to talk.  Best wishes, Mickey P.S. contact my personal for my tel. #

AlabamaDonna

• 205-243-1233
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 07:37:32 pm »
Mickey,
Your post caught my eye because so many doctors say diet doesn't alter the growth of these darn things. I did see that tumors are progesterone receptors so I stopped taking hormone replacement therapy. But felt there was more I could do. I was wondering what else might help keep acoustic neuromas from growing. I've altered my diet, am ingesting more turmeric, taking an aspirin per day, loading up on vitamins, herbs, supplements, taking yoga classes, praying daily, meditating often, seeing an acupuncturist. What else should I be doing?
Diagnosed after sudden hearing loss at age 57
MRI November, 2018 1.7 cm. MRI in April, 2019 2.1 cm, MRI March, 2022 3.0.
Headaches, tingling on tongue, lips, fatigue, balance, memory loss. UAB Radiation Aug. 2019, UAB Surgery to implant shunt, Oct., 2021. UC San Diego Surgery, July, 2022. Translab.

Maria Odete

• Psalm 37:23,24 - Leviticus 20:26 -Romans 13:4
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 06:55:42 pm »
Hi,

I responded to this thread some time ago where I mentioned that I was on the Ketogenic Diet. Due to not getting any responses to my post , I asked the ANA administrator to delete the post. However, I decided to post here again and say that the Ketogenic Diet changed my life for the better - health-wise. For those of you who don"t know what a Ketogenic diet is, it is essentially an ultra-low carb, high healthy- fat diet. To give you an example, I consume the most 20 grams of carbs daily. This diet impacts the body, brain and energy. In simpler terms: after at about two weeks of been on the Keto diet, you will enter the metabolic state of ketosis where you become fat adapted, which means your body burns fat for fuel instead of carbs.There are so many Keto Diet benefits: weight loss, normal blood pressure levels, normal blood sugar levels- the list goes on.

If you would like to make a comment here or add some more information about the Keto diet, please feel free to do so.

Stay all safe during this difficult time.

Maria Odete
Dx: 3.5 cm Acoustic Neuroma. Complete Resection.
Year of Surgery: 1992

Psalm 83:18: "Let men know that You, Whose Name Alone is YAHWEH ,are the Supreme Head over all the earth!" - The Holy Scriptures
Isaiah 43:10 - Isaiah 54:17  -
Psalm 105:15 - Isaiah 65:13,14 - Psalm 105:3 -The Holy Scriptures