Author Topic: Hearing improving after 1 yr. post GK?  (Read 2183 times)

mamugel

Hearing improving after 1 yr. post GK?
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:12:13 am »
I am one year post GK for a 2.1 cm tumor. I had a difficult year with hydrocephalus leading to
a shunt and balance issues. Now doing well.My hearing was bad enough that I have been set up for a BAHA hearing system placement. This is on hold due to the coronovirus (my choice because I have asthma and don't want to be in the hospital right now).  In the last week my hearing seems to be improving. Not a great deal of improvement but enough that I may ask for another hearing test. Has anyone else had this happen? My 1 year MRI showed that my AN is decreasing in size and the NS is extremely pleased. I have been told that nothing will improve as far as hearing goes so I feel very surprised by this. Thank you!

kestes

Re: Hearing improving after 1 yr. post GK?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:20:35 am »
Great news for you about your hearing.  I am 16 months out of GK and  my hearing has decreased - but was expected so I was prepared, I still have about 50%, but word recognition is not good.  I also have 24 hr tinnitus and it is manageable and very thankful for that as well.  Hope things continue to improve for you. 
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
14mm at 6 mo MRI Aug 2018
tinnitus, high pitch hearing loss, balance issues
GK at UVA Dr Jason Sheehan Nov 2, 2018
MRI May 2019, slight swelling of AN but showing necrosis - experiencing vertigo issues
Columbia, South Carolina

mamugel

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 09:05:19 am »
Thank you! Have you felt the need for a hearing aid?

kestes

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:48:05 am »
NO, not yet.  I tried a hearing aid but it seems like I am in between needing one. Since my hearing on my AN side is somewhat distorted all the hearing aid did was make the distortion louder in that ear and that was not fun.   My friend right now is heavy duty ear plugs.  I carry them everywhere.  It helps so much with going to places to eat, movies, loud places, etc.  Makes it much more tolerable and helps with tinnitus.  My tinnitus seems to get louder if I am in a louder environment.  Sometimes I just cant hear what people are saying and that's just part of the tumor. I work in a quiet environment so that helps but if people walk up on me on my right side, I cant hear them or they startle me. 
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
14mm at 6 mo MRI Aug 2018
tinnitus, high pitch hearing loss, balance issues
GK at UVA Dr Jason Sheehan Nov 2, 2018
MRI May 2019, slight swelling of AN but showing necrosis - experiencing vertigo issues
Columbia, South Carolina

mamugel

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:57:06 pm »
Thanks. Appreciate the information!