Author Topic: Follow up MRIs  (Read 3955 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Follow up MRIs
« on: November 20, 2019, 02:34:04 pm »
Just do it!

Readers Digest version of my history. AN discovered in 2009 and had translab surgery Houston Methodist by Dr Vrabec 2010.  Had sent my MRI to House prior to surgery and Dr Friedman said he noticed a small growth on the left side, but could not say it was tumor, and I had an AN on the right side. Same MRI was read by a total of 4 doctors, and all agreed.

Following surgery I had therapy to deal with my 24/7 vertigo. It helped however I still have vertigo 24/7.

I had 4 or 5 follow up MRIs and it was always reported I had no new growth following the surgery, but there is still and unknown growth, possibly a large artery on the left side. I made a decision to stop the MRI parade.

Had my annual medicare physical 2 weeks ago and my physician talked me into another MRI. Sure enough, since I had a history of MRIs, they could be compared to each other. The unknown object is now diagnosed as an AN that has grown 2mm from last year.

My file says NF2 since I have tumors on both sides, but is probably not accurate. When I was young I had my tonsils removed and my adenoids began to swell. My mom took me to an ENT who used xrays to treat the swelling in my throat. From what I've read 1 in 75 people who were treated with xrays like I was develop ANs. It also toasted my thyroid and half of it removed years ago. I do not have any other tumors like NF2 people.

I have an appointment with Dr Kutz in Dallas next week to work out a plan for treatment. I will keep you up dated.

If I had not continued MRIs we would not have a history to compare. I encourage you to get in a habit to have an annual MRI. Just do it!

jami

Re: Follow up MRIs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:37:11 am »
Thanks James!

I just talked my dr into reducing MRIs from every six months to annual, and i will take your advice to heart. It could get tempting to let it go.

Many thoughts of support!

Jami
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

james e

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 03:41:24 pm »
Met with Dr Kutz and he reviewed my history of MRIs and he does not agree with the radiologist  that I have a new AN. He really doesn't know what it is and he wants to watch and wait.

He meets on a quarterly basis with other skull based surgeons, radiologist, and neuro surgeons regarding cases that cannot be readily defined. He will introduce my MRIs as a case study in January and have them suggest some ideas. Wish me luck and I will follow up when I get his report.

Enri

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:39 pm »
Good luck to you.  I will keep fingers crossed.
----
Diagnosed Oct. 2015 - mild tinnitus, partial hearing loss - Right ear
1.5 cm x 0.8cm
Retrosigmoid Nov 2016 - Houston Methodist - Drs. Vrabec and Britz

james e

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 04:33:54 pm »
The doctor had his meeting with other surgeons and radiologist and they agreed it is a tumor and it is more enhanced since my last MRI. Watch and wait and continue annual MRI for now however let him know if I have a sudden change of hearing.

Hopefully it stays the same size and life goes on.