Author Topic: Cannot cry out of tumour side eye  (Read 10765 times)

ritapotenza

Cannot cry out of tumour side eye
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:59:26 pm »
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone else is unable to cry AT ALL out of their eye (tumour side). I had retrosigmoid surgery followed by radiation about 18 months ago. My surgeon and radiation doctor has told me that this should not have been a side effect but I certainly could cry out of my right eye before surgery!  I am also suffering from really bad headaches and am wondering if it is related??

Thanks
Rita (from Australia)

P.S. This is great forum!!

Patti

Re: Cannot cry out of tumour side eye
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:30 am »
I haven't cried out of my tumor side in 18 years and still need to use frequent eye drops. I feel it swell but no tears ever fall.
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:36:58 pm »
Yes, this has been true for me since surgery in 2010. It will occasionally water from spicy foods, but not from emotion. I also use eye drops and night lubricant.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

JLR

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:09:23 am »
Yes me too. I'm 21 months post op.  My affected right eye does not tear at all. It does well up but never a tear. So odd. I use drops everyday. I use ointment at night. I have a feeling this will be ongoing. 

Abetpds

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 11:50:38 am »
Me too!   I had my surgery on June 26, 2018.  My left eye never tears up, but during the day, I do not need any drops.  Also my left nostril is always dry. When I have a cold, nothing comes out of the left nostril - only the right.  The left side of my tongue has lost its tastebuds - so anything other than spicy foods is tasteless.  Other issue I am finding is that it is hard to read - I keep losing focus as the words on the page get blurry. Then after rubbing my eyes or closing them for a moment, I'm able to read but it happens again. Anyone facing this issue?

JLR

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 08:12:04 pm »
Oh yes, me as well. It will be 2 years post op November 1. My right nostril never runs it's also slightly pinched. I'm thinking that is the way it's always going to be. I keep thinking it could be worse so I'm thankful. 

pbjoneal172

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 10:16:41 pm »
Me too. 

2001, I had a 5 cm. tumor removed from behind the right ear, (which is that? Sigmoid?, 12 hr surgery, they finally had to cut the facial nerve to get it.

No tears in the right eye, dry eye, need drops/gel when it gets bad, same as everyone else.  But also BLURRY PERIPHERAL VISION WHEN LYING DOWN, no lying down to watch TV.  Also my right nostril collapsed, I assumed facial nerve, but that means when I inhale I get half the air.  And of course headaches.  I am just now looking with a new doctor how to address some of these issues along with some other things die to thyroid ,etc.

Has anyone had any experience with the nose and eyes in conjunction with the tears issue?

JLR

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:59:33 pm »
We seem to be in the boat. No tears. And my nose is always dry.

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 12:30:16 pm »
Same for me. No tears since my surgery. I had radiation five months ago and now I am dealing with facial issues. My eye does not close so I am patching, using the ointment and occasionally I un-patch with drops but I do not last long and then it is on fire from dryness. I hope this gets better as the tumor dies and the swelling dissipates. I understand this process could take one to three years.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

JLR

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 03:36:11 am »
Yup me too and it’s been 3 years.

Zan

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 01:52:25 am »
I was told by my doctor that there is a gland in your facial nerve that stimulates tear production. Since my tumor was on my facial nerve instead of in my ear, it was one of my first symptoms.  I haven’t cried out of my left eye since 2016.
For some reason my eye does tear when I am doing cardio. If I’m out for a run, it suddenly starts to tear up.