Author Topic: Root Canals post Gamma  (Read 1976 times)

Echo

Root Canals post Gamma
« on: October 09, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »
I'm curious if any of my Gamma Knife buddies have experienced a need for Root Canal work on their AN side post Gamma Knife?  My GK was in 2013 and I spent a year doing tons of research prior to making my decision.  I cannot recall ANYWHERE reading about root canals becoming a risk post treatment.  Having said that, I never had a root canal in my 59 years prior to treatment.  In the past 3 years I've needed 3 root canals and today found out I may need a possible 4th one.  Of interest the first one I had was on my left side, the following 2 and the problem tooth I'm dealing with today are all on my right (AN) side!  I did wear braces as a teenager and that can cause root  problems many years down the road, but it seems odd that I'm having so much trouble on my AN side. 
So....anyone else notice something similar?

Thanks,
Cathie                       
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

kkc

Re: Root Canals post Gamma
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:58:06 pm »
My experience isn't exactly what you're asking about, but I will share. 

I had GK in 2016 and about 3 months after GK I had a root canal on the same side.  Interestingly enough, I did experience facial paralysis  3 weeks after that root canal on the same (AN) side. 

The official "blame" for the facial paralysis was the expected swelling the AN does after GK. I had a "very robust" response to GK according to my doctor and an MRI at that time showed the AN was enlarged, which was in the 4-6 month window that swelling is expected. 

A year or so later I had a root canal on the opposite side.  I had no difficulties following that.  I do know that facial paralysis can impact teeth on the AN side because of chewing issues and changes in amount of saliva.