Author Topic: Exhaustion & falling to AN side  (Read 7474 times)

gunns

Exhaustion & falling to AN side
« on: May 11, 2018, 08:00:00 am »
Has anyone experienced extreme exhaustion?  Before the surgery I had increasing problems with exhaustion. For me this wasn’t normal. I even had to give up on a Sierra backpacking trip in 2017. My tumor was removed last July and the exhaustion issue seems to be getting steadily worse. I’m getting plenty of sleep thanks to my c-pap but I can’t take a lunch break without falling asleep. Everything is taking much longer to do. Is this common?

My tumor was on the left side. When I fall or loose balance it’s to the left side. I also seem to wander to the left. Is this normal?

wintersmd

Re: Exhaustion & falling to AN side
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:56:54 pm »
Hi Gunns.  I had my surgery back in July 2013, left side, same as you.  I still have issues with balance and falling to the left.  I have gone through vistibular thearopy and it did help somewhat, but for me, my balance has not returned.  As far as being tired, yes, I get exhausted quite easily.  I was in a position that I could retire from my job, so naps for me are pretty easy.  I am now working a part time job, 4 hours a day.  I take a nap prior to or right after work.  One thing that I try to do on a daily basis is to exercise. Walking, yoga, strength training will work wonders.  I am also to a point where I can ride a bike again.  I cant take my eyes off the road, or drink from my water bottle while riding, but something is better than nothing.  Good luck to you and keep pushing forward.  Your life may have changed, but dont let it define you.  Mike

v357139

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:41:16 pm »
Gunns,
Is it possible for you to take naps?  I took at least 3 naps a day before I went back to work and that helped quite a bit.  Then at work I'd sneak a nap here and there for 10-15 min.    Also, are you doing alot of physical exertion?  If you are, you might want to cut back for a while.  Your body is telling you to rest, you should listen.  Until your body has a chance to catch up.

On balance, the hospital gave me balance exercises.  I did them every day for something like 6 months after surgery.  To me it's like sports.  The more you practice, the better you will get.  PM me if you would like the exercises.
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

gunns

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:19:48 pm »
Well it's been a year or so since I've been on this site.  I've been really busy.  My balance and exhaustion has gotten steadily worse.  Just fell backwords off our deck and landed flat on my back out in the yard.  But I did miss our cattle dog.  I loose my balance to varying degrees several times an hour and have a bad hard fall once a week.  Last one I almost fell completely out of the shower.  When in the shower I try to keep a hand, elbow or knee against the wall if I close my eyes which helps.  But this time it didn't work and my eyes were open.  When at home I furniture surf my way through the house.  When away its always with a cane.

As it is I only sleep for about six hours a night.  If I take a nap during the day I'll sleep even less at night and then I'm really tired/exhausted the next day.  My lungs were 1/3 full of fluid and my doc thought I had congestive heart failure (CHF) which would explain the fatigue.  Went through a battery of tests that ruled out the CHF but no explanation for the fluid or fatigue.  So back to square one.  I guess it's just the way it's going to be - a new norm.

swy001

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 03:23:36 pm »
Its been about 4 months since I had Retrosig surgery. After 2 months of Vestibular Therapy I was doing really good. I did still have some unsteadiness when I moved with my eyes closed or made rapid head movements, but I can see progression. Than I went back to work and stopped doing the exercises and I started to feel unsteady again. So, try to keep doing the exercises at home and stay active. I thought once I was done with Physical Therapy I would be good, but I hear it takes about a year with constant exercise to get to atleast 90% back , but never 100% unfortunately.

I also do fatigue easily, but it depends on the day and amount of sleep i get. Sometime when I don't get enough sleep I take a 15 min nap to feel better. Not sure if this will improve or not, but hopefully its like my balance, I have to train my body to have better endurance.

Hope this helps. Keep at it.
9mm tumor right side. Retrosig Surgery Removed March 2019