Author Topic: Curious for input on Diagnostic testing  (Read 1569 times)

PookieB

Curious for input on Diagnostic testing
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:06:23 am »
Newby Here.  I have been having pressure/ mild pain in my right ear for several weeks.  Also headache along the lower right side of my head which goes up and over my right ear.  Stiff neck.   I never go to the Dr but decided I needed to have my ear checked out as I had chronic earaches as a child and didn't want this to get that far.   Dr says ear is perfectly fine.  Gives me allergy meds and prednisone to try for a week and says she is concerned but to call her in a week to see how it is going.   Within the week the right side of my face begins to go numb and tingling.  I call Dr and she orders CT of head/neck.
Just got results back from Non contrast CT-  All negative.

I am not a paranoid person or hypochondriac but this is really annoying.   I feel as if the right side of my face is sagging and is constantly tingling/ numb.  Visually it shows no signs of sagging such as Bells Palsy.   

All symptoms point to possible AN.  I even have the vertigo and am a klutz, however, I have always been uncoordinated so no real change there.  Is it possible to have a false negative CT?  Should I press for a different diagnostic test? 
I am happy the CT was negative but I am frustrated that I am no closer to finding out what is wrong?

Director

• Administrator
Re: Curious for input on Diagnostic testing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:47:13 pm »
Dear Pookie, The most common presenting symptom for acoustic neuroma is single-sided (unilateral) hearing loss. I would suggest you visit an audiologist and find out if you have hearing loss on the side where you are experiencing the other symptoms. The 'gold standard' test for diagnosing an acoustic neuroma is an MRI, so you can ask for that (not a CT scan).
I hope that helps- if you are diagnosed with acoustic neuroma, please reach out to us a info@anausa.org.
Allison
ANA CEO

PookieB

Re: Curious for input on Diagnostic testing
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:26:35 pm »
Thank you!  I definitely have hearing loss on the right side.   I have noticed it for several years now.   I have not heard back from me Family MD yet about my CT results.  I was able to get the results myself which showed negative.    I can live with hearing loss, and would even be willing to live with the ear pressure and headaches.  The facial numbness/ tingling is what has me most concerned.   
I anticipate my MD will refer be to an ENT but have not heard back at this time.

Thank you for your response.